GoKunming Forums

Dimsum

LouieK (33 posts) • 0

Will be arriving in Kunming in a week and will have to take some guests for dimsum. Did quick search and found only user names — is there a different word for dimsum? Suggestions appreciated!

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

I think that dimsum is more of a Cantonese thing.

Try looking for Cantonese restaurants, or Cantonese tea houses.
Most of the tea houses I have visited in Kunming, the focus was definitely on the tea.

Perhaps someone has seen other tea houses that offer more than rice crackers with tea, in Kunming.

blueice (73 posts) • 0

There's a dimsum place behind the Walmart at XiaoXiMen. It's right next to the bike/escooter parking place.

rejected_goods (349 posts) • 0

Indeed, dim sim is a Cantonese thing, so kunming might not be the best place to experience yum cha. However, you could try the Carrianna (佳宁娜)at the Kunming Hotel near the Thai consulate. I believe it is one of the restaurants which does "authentic" Cantonese food in kunming.

LouieK (33 posts) • 0

Thanks, will check them out. Looking forward to trying Carrianna. Btw, I just heard that in Brilliant Plaza right next to My Favor restaurant there is also a cantonese restaurant which is supposed to be pretty good.

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

You'd be wise to call ahead, as the majority of Cantonese-style restaurants in KM do not serve dimsum (my unverified explanation is that eating dimsum is not perceived as consuming an actual meal).

Mandarin is 点心.

As is mentioned in this thread—

www.gokunming.com/en/forums/thread/3263/dim_sum

—this place (if it's still open) does ok dimsum. Once again, call ahead; they do only two seatings per day (morning and night).

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Just a thought.
Most Cantonese restaurants I went to in Shenzhen and Shanghai only served dimsum in the mornings and/or afternoons, not at lunchtime or in the evening.

It will be worth checking the times. You must specifically ask 'what time?'. If you just ask, 'Do you...' the answer will be a simple 'yes'. Don't expect more details. Seriously, it is one of the annoying things about getting information here, people tend not to volunteer helpful additional information.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Why take guests in Kunming to try dimsum? That would be like taking guests in Guangzhou to find a dai restaurant and hope it's somewhat edible and authentic.

You can practically choose any dai restaurant anywhere in Kunming and it will beat any dimsum experience to be found in Kunming.

Go Dai. Save the dimsum for Guangzhou or HK.

Related forum threads

Login to post