GoKunming Forums

can baijiu go bad? really.

alienew (422 posts) • 0

If you've been here long enough, it seems to get better. Alternate take on that, I guess, would be that you've been here too long, but either way it tends to make dinners with Chinese friends more fun.

dolphin (509 posts) • -1

Let's hope jojio is doing well ... and ... gets a promotion!

“Pure Distilled Evil In Liquid Form”

dish.andrewsullivan.com/[...]

Dan Rather, reporting on Nixon’s visit to China in 1972, described Maotai, a famous variety of baijiu, as ”liquid razor blades.”

Among the business and government classes, baijiu is social fuel, used not just to loosen up a banquet crowd but to cement relationships and prove one’s mettle in China’s male-dominated power networks. Refusing any one of the dozens of toasts during a typical banquet is considered an insult or a sign of weakness — and definitely bad business. The result is that China is the only country where binge drinking increases with age.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

The culture has changed a lot in the last 10 years. Drink driving laws accelerated this, as has the anti corruption drive. One thing related to the latter is that officials should not appear drunk in public. I have been to several dinners and weddings where people toast with tea or juice.

vicar (817 posts) • 0

I agree. I don’t think it’s considered an insult any longer at weddings and business dinners etc. I’d even say respect is given to those that decline a drink these days. However, you may still come across as a wuss if you’re unable to drink copious amounts of baijiu, half pints at a time with certain people. In which case it’s probably best to steer well clear. If you are being pushed, then drink a large glass and then puke all over the table and (in the hot pot is fine) the chances are that they will not offer you anymore (don’t try this at a business dinner).

mengna (62 posts) • +2

He’s bleeding demised!
He has passed on.
He is no more.
He has ceased to be.
He’s expired and gone to meet his maker.
He is a late baijiu drinker
He’s a stiff, bereft of life, he rests in peace.
He’s pushing up the daisies.

His metabolic processes are of interest only to historians.
He's off the twig.
He's kicked the bucket, he's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible.
He’s an ex baijiu drinker.

Related forum threads

Login to post