GoKunming Forums

buying jade

faraday (213 posts) • 0

Alex, cheers,
Is that a point-blank "no" from the pawn shops? That does surprise me a little, but not enough to make me lose interest.
In any case, i do hear what you're saying, but I still want to learn what I can - what are the most common flaws, what gives a piece value (or detracts from value) etc. I have seen people arrive to jade shops with a magnifier, a scales, and a flashlight, and I want to know what they're doing (or what they THINK they're doing).

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

As I understand the word jade translated to Chinese means quite a variety of things one of them being "carved stone." I have always liked the look and feel of jade and have bought many pieces since the 60's. When the US lifted the ban on Chinese goods, several pieces I had bought for under $30 were worth several thousand dollars. My criteria for selecting pieces was craftsmanship, detail, color, and the stone quality. Anyway, I fancied myself sort of an expert as I sold enough carvings in the 70's at a huge profit, enough to buy a house.

In 2002 or 2003, I saw a CCTV 9 show about the "jade" industry in China. It showed how jade was made, colored and carved. Yes, made from glass. They showed how they could dye or stain the material to look natural. Inferior stone was used but was doctored to look like the real thing. The special glass used, it was claimed, was so good most experts would be fooled. I decided buying jade for investment was too risky.

Today, the quality of carving has come way down. Machines are used, not only for roughing out, but for detail as well. At times you can identify the product from glass molds as all fine details are smooth and rounded with no hint of a tool being used.

When I was selling some jade pieces a Chinese guy in LA told me California jade was high quality. He told of how the Chinese that were imported to work mines and build railroads had in their contracts the right to have their bodies repatriated if they died. Other Chinese would prepare coffins filled with California jade and send them off to China to the families of the departed. The jade rocks were enough to make the family rich, so the story went.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

Re:
I have seen people arrive to jade shops with a magnifier, a scales, and a flashlight, and I want to know what they're doing (or what they THINK they're doing).

Showing off.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

How to make money out of jade. (True story)

Accidentally you bump into somebody or so it likes and the persons jade bracelet is falling on the ground in pieces. Before you can even apologise you are surrounded by some rather tough looking relatives of the lady whose bracelet you broke. You are made to understand that you will have to reimburse the broken and very expensive bracelet which happens to cost 10,000 kuai. Conveniently they even have to original bill with them to prove this. (OK given that this is China a deal can be made).

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

The magnifier is check the carving. I would use a loupe to look for detail and tool marks. Really fine, hand carved jade has more value.

Jade is supposed to be translucent. Most shops have special lighting and extremely bright lamps which enhance the color and translucency. Using your own light gives you comparability with a consistent light.

China is a nation of fakes. CCTV 9 convinced me I could not tell squat about the quality of jade. If you like a piece, the color, the feel, the quality of the workmanship, set a price in your mind and bargain. In Kashgar a few years ago I admired a small piece priced at 500 yuan. I offered 20 and walked out with it for 30. It must have been a slow day.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-01/26/content_9375955.htm

This shop in Kunming has one of the biggest selection of these jade stones.

Tailigong Jade Exposition & Exhibition Center (enter in Google maps)

For bracelets, I would go to the bottom floor here:
Thai Goods Distribution Center, Kuming (enter in Google maps)

Of course Kunming is still no where near the best place to get jade, but it's convenient.

Related forum threads

Login to post