GoKunming Forums

Wildlife You've Seen in Yunnan

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

My family-in-law lives in mountains in Changning county. We usually avoid going there in summer because of snakes.

I've seen some eagle or other big bird circling over there. And hawks sometime grab chickens.

goldie122 (645 posts) • +1

My friend bought an owl which he kept in his home.... not a good choice for a pet.

It would fly around and shat everywhere.

One day, I opened the front door and it flew out.

I hopelessly tried to catch it but it just sat there up high in a tree.

Never saw him again and I truly didnt mean to let it out but in the end I was glad it was free.

He is somewhere in Kunming.

Haali (1178 posts) • +1

plenty of birds. I sometimes see hawks near the skyscrapers at Nanya. I saw a kingfisher in Jianshui.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Not just Yunnan, but Sichuan mountains, tough to see any wildlife bigger than a squirrel. There are enough feral dogs out there though, but not sure if that's what the op meant by wildlife.

Add: there are some nasty looking green and black spiders that make huge communal webs with hundreds of them all around. Never seen them before till Kunming.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I just found two small dedicated lizards under the sofa, about 5cm long. The kind that move around the walls at night in summer.

Stratocaster (161 posts) • 0

I've seen two more squirrels since posting this thread. Unfortunately, both were road kill. I appreciate people comments, but it's depressing to learn that nobody has really seen much, if any, wildlife at all.

Stratocaster (161 posts) • 0

v.youku.com/[...]

Remember the BBC documentary "Wild China" from 2008? This is the blurb from episode 2 "Shangri La":
This episode profiles the rich biodiversity of south-western Yunnan province. Forming the eastern boundary of the Himalaya, the Hengduan Mountains have buckled into a series of parallel ridges running north-south. The Nujiang River is one of a succession of deep gorges that carve their way through the mountains. In summer, monsoon rainclouds from the Indian Ocean are funnelled up the valleys, creating a unique climate in which species from the tropics can flourish at a more northerly latitude. Yunnan’s 18,000 plant species, of which 3,000 are found nowhere else, attracted Western botanists and explorers such as Joseph Rock. In the snowbound forests surrounding the pilgrimage site of Kawakarpo (6740 m), rare Yunnan snub-nosed monkeys are filmed feeding on lichen. In the Gaoligong Mountains, tropical and alpine plants grow side by side. Birdlife filmed here includes sunbirds feeding on epiphytes and the courtship display of a Temminck's tragopan. The fruiting trees attract bear macaques and black giant squirrels, whilst China’s 250 remaining wild Asian elephants forage below. A lesser bamboo bat colony is filmed at their roost inside a single stem; each bat is the size of a bumblebee. A giant elephant yam flower is pollinated by carrion beetles at night. Black crested gibbons are filmed in the forests of Wuliangshan. The people of Yunnan include the Dai, Hani and Jino tribes, each of whom regard the forests as sacred and harvest them sustainably, but modern times are bringing new threats such as rubber plantations and tourism.[16]

Related forum threads

Login to post