GoKunming Forums

Registering foreigners' religious activities

AlPage48 (1324 posts) • +2

I have to agree with Lemon Lover on this.
The abortion issue has nothing to do with REGISTRATION of Religious Activities.

This should have been a separate thread.

Maybe the admins can make that happen.

livinginchina (115 posts) • -1

It's all about increasing the population. China has an aging population problem and needs to increase it as quickly as possible. It will take decades to catch up after implementing the one child policy for so long.

JanJal (1166 posts) • 0

There is one foreseeable impact.

Few years ago we had a foreign visitor staying with us. She was wondering why all over the place, from TV to buses, there are advertisements for maternity clinics (read: abortion clinics), but nothing to advertise contraceptives.

The government may well restrict advertising of abortion clinics, and start revoking business licenses from clinics that may appear profiting from abortions. That it can call "cleaning the business environment", without directly banning anything from the general public.

rejected_goods (349 posts) • -2

i would have thought, worshiping and be faithful to a unary living god and every one, kindergarten included, is requires to read the living god's words that, " talk the walk and walk the talk" the great man's thought should constitute a religion. i wonder. :-) :-)

JanJal (1166 posts) • +1

Continuing on topic of cleaning the "business environment", prior to our successful pregnancy we had one miscarriage, and for the cleanup operation we were listed 3 or 4 different prices in same maternity hospital.

The difference came from the technique used, which varies in price and safety. The cheaper ones arguably have heightened risk for further complications which may reduce chance of future pregnancy. Most expensive ones probably medically unnecessary in most cases.

I would expect the government to focus on these details (and put money if necessary), so that hospitals could offer the safer options to everyone, and stop offering things that aren't medically justified.

Another experience on softer side of medicine, relating to bed side manners that are not high on priority in China.

After the procedure we were put to a room to wait and observe that everything is OK. In the adjacent bed there was a girl surrounded by a bunch of female friends.

After we left, my wife told me that she overheard the group speaking with language that made her convinced that these women were working in the oldest profession, which only so many years ago was still quite openly practiced here.

The experience rang a bell in my head, because I had just recently read an article (from another country) describing medical professionals to be wary of not placing patients with unwanted miscarriages in same rooms with people who want to get rid of their babies.

YaXu5 (23 posts) • +1

I interpreted @lemonlover’s post as tongue in cheek sarcasm, knowing he wouldn’t miss a beat w/ recent Texas abortion law lobbied by Christian conservatives.

@wayofsun, not dismissing your point entirely. The majority of western-based media are biased in their own ways. They are, first and foremost, a business driven by the bottom line. Nationalism and fear-induced anti-China news contents sell in the West. These days, anything negative about China reaches front page headlines to drive viewership.

At least sites like Reuters and WSJ don’t hold back when attacking their own on home soil, be it the hiccups of Biden, mishaps of allies (Cuomo or Newson), let alone the onslaught of Americans on the far right spectrum.

Can local readers obtain the same level of impartiality and scrutiny of the Party with Xinhua, People’s Daily, CGTN, and their affiliates? Don’t answer, it’s rhetorical.

@jaljal, sorry to hear about the previous miscarriage. Tough ordeal for the mother.

You’re right, said patients shouldn’t be put in recovery beds opposite of those you mentioned. Even one of the highest-end, private OBGYN hospitals in Kunming, Angel Children & Women’s Hospital, resort to open-space recovery stations separated by curtains at best. Perhaps upgrades to VIP quarters would require premium packages.

The lack of patient privacy seems to be a cultural thing in Chinese hospitals overall. Less of an issue for international, private clinics in town. In public hospitals, strangers walk in on your session while eagerly waiting beside you less than a meter away as you speak to your doctor about personal medical issues. More of an issue for women.

michael2015 (751 posts) • +2

For the record, most online "news" sites are actually registered as "entertainment" venues - hence the general absence of journalistic integrity. They may carry allegedly reputed sources such as Reuters, AP etc - but the sites themselves are "entertainment", so shouldn't be construed as actual news.

YaXu5 (23 posts) • 0

Reuters (a legal and financial consulting service at its core) may be persistent in shinning a not so commendable light on China when opportunities arise, but that doesn’t mean their media reporting are nonfactual, however one wishes to classify them.

DasIstAoWPhOL (15 posts) • 0

you find pieces from differ sources, and then you gotta be able to put

these pieces together . i remember somebody said something like this " don't just read dalai lama and the communist party, coz they both can be funny."

Related forum threads

Login to post