Roughly one in one hundred children around the world are born with congenital heart defects. These range from minor to life-threatening. In rural places around the world with little or no access to adequate healthcare, such cases can prove fatal at an early age. This reality is no less true in Yunnan's far-flung places, where children are sometimes properly diagnosed but still have no recourse because surgery is a financial impossibility for their families.
Local not-for-profit Village Progress, in cooperation with China California Heart Watch, is raising money for five Yunnan children who desperately need life-saving surgeries. They all live in Tengchong County in western Yunnan, and range in age from one to twelve. Their individual stories have been published online at You Caring, a crowdsourcing website where you can make a digital donation.
On Sunday, November 22, DT Bar will host the Have a Heart Fundraiser to benefit all five of the kids in Tengchong who otherwise cannot afford life-saving operations. Proceeds from the event will be donated to Village Progress, which will put the money toward the necessary surgeries.
In addition, all money raised will be matched — dollar for dollar — by Dr Robert Detrano, who was recently honored by Yunnan governor Chen Hao for his decade-long dedication to fighting the epidemic of childhood heart disease in the province.
The benefit begins at 4pm and will feature a dazzling array of raffle prizes, performances by ten bands and DJs, as well as food vendors. Everyone performing, selling food or pouring drinks is donating their time and profits to the cause. Tickets to the event cost 30 yuan per person and include one ticket to the prize giveaway. Additional raffle tickets will be on sale at DT Bar during the event for 30 yuan each.
Bands scheduled to perform
• Nevada & The Yucca Nukes (country blues rock)
• The Great Apes (indie rock)
• MDA the Blacksmythe (hip-hop)
• Funk Syndacate (funk and disco)
• Sandauni (West-African gypsy jazz)
• In Cahoots (classic covers)
• Fly the Panda (eclectic rock)
• Eddy (rock n' roll)
• Andrew & Sean (indie rock)
• DJ DSK (hip-hop, breakbeat)
• DJ Xiao Kris (electronic awesomeness)
Food and yum
A warm-up brunch beginning at 11am will be hosted by The Park Grill and Bar, with a portion of proceeds going to the Have a Heart Fundraiser.
• Tandem hang glider flight in Dali from Paraglide Yunnan
• 3 gift packages of Dali Bars
• Voucher for one large and one medium pizza from Brooklyn Pizzeria
• Home-made guava jam by Lorena
• Bottle of single malt whisky from the Whiskey Company
• 5 vouchers for Cantina (100 yuan each)
• 2 cases of Vedett Beer from O'Reilly's Irish Pub
• Steak dinner for two with bottle of wine from Great Australian Bite
• 2 bottles of Absolut vodka from The Mask
• 3 copies of John Nevada Lundemo's debut album Rocket Chair
• 2 bottles of premium wine from Alei Lounge Club
Tickets to the Have a Heart Fundraiser are on sale now at Brooklyn Pizzeria, Cantina, Great Australian Bite, Humdinger Brewpub, Lost Garden Guesthouse, The Park Bar and Grill and Wheatfield Bookstore.
Those wishing to donate their time as a volunteer can contact John Nevada Lundemo on his WeChat account. Search for 'nevadakunming'. Previous efforts of this kind have been ridiculously fun while also raising much-needed money for good causes. Let's work together as a community to make the Have a Heart Fundraiser a complete success!