GoKunming Forums

Home Improvement in kunming

Chinizzle (33 posts) • 0

Danielgrenz,
Sorry to say my friend the landscape architect confirmed that landscaping fabric is used only extremely rarely in China. If they get weeds, they hire a lady and she digs em up. Erosion control although a major problem for any construction firm, would really only be applicable for major government projects where they are responsible for large areas of dirt after the construction is over. As you've seen when construction is over in china very little open field is left.

That's not too say I won't see it tomorrow or quit asking about it. I'll let my OCD run point and if it's here I'll find it but it might be far too late for your sandbox. Can you post pictures somewhere when you're done and show us all your project?

danielgrenz (32 posts) • 0

Chinizzle,
Thanks for checking. I was thinking it was pretty rare, even taobao only had some imported fabric from the US (and quite expensive). I will probably go with some of that tarp and maybe rough it up so its a bit permeable for the water but not the sand. I like you idea on the boards instead of the plywood. I had plywood on the bottom last year when I built it, and it got black mold (had to throw out all the sand and sand down the wood and re-stain it, quite a headache), so will check out the wood market for some good stuff.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

If the tarp being spoken about is the stripped one (2"stripe red/white/blue/etc.) it is woven plastic and is permeable. It works well as a sloped awning to shed water, but will not hold it really.

One thing you need to keep out more than water, is cats. There are surprisingly more cats than many people think, as they are usually feral and people shy.

Chinizzle (33 posts) • 0

Danielgrenz,

If you want a little help I'd love to at least come out and see your project. Send me an email. I'm not one of those guys who has to make money at everything.

Chinizzle (33 posts) • 0

Alien.

Thanks, I agree. I don't like the quality level and price level combo of construction here so, I do it myself. I'll be doing an apartment that has nothing毛坯房 in the next month for a friend. starting from zero will be a fun project. I will keep posting progress on that one.

Chinizzle (33 posts) • 0

Hey Alexkmg
How's that soundproofing coming along? Were you able to find what you need? I spend a lot of time near that market if you want I could show you where to go.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not building a studio, but it's good to know the foam is available. I just have constant late night truck noise through a mass of street facing windows. I've just added some heavier drapes and used a fan to generate white noise to help sleep. I have a lot of street facing glass, so it would be too expensive to soundproof correctly. Also, with windows, you want the view and light, but not the sound, no really good solution to this outside of really expensive windows I guess. In addition, I think soundproof is a misnomer. It's really just sound muffling. Like you said, the ideal solution is start sound muffling at the design phase.

Related forum threads

Login to post