GoKunming Forums

Home Improvement in kunming

Chinizzle (33 posts) • 0

To answer a few earlier questions about materials location, if you can't find it at 云纺. You can definitely find it at a massive construction materials market on 雨龙路, and 昌宏路。 located just next to the old airport. 广福路connects with 昌宏路 and just start looking for what you need. I found

PVC piping and fittings

Proper lumber for home carpentry projects
Stone flooring and countertops
Lighting
All electrical supplies
Drywall and drywall mud mix
Doors
Windows
Installers
Light posts
Stoves and commercial cooking equipment
Massive fabric market
Solar water heaters
Cabinetry markets
Ebike sales
Vinyl flooring and plastic overlays for cabinets
Every kind of tool for wood working and remodeling.

Sounds awesome right?
The issue here is when you arrive, prepare to have landed on a different planet. The market is absolutely huge and if you went on foot it could easily take days to find what you want. ( not joking! Days. )Driving a motorized vehicle is fine but beware of crazy alleyways, blind corners, other fast drivers of motorized two wheeled vehicles and forklifts which proliferate the area.

For most of us the area at 云纺is easily navigated, easily walked and is safe to walk around in. The sheer scale of the market on 雨龙路 and 昌宏路 is Worth seeing in my opinion but it took me an hour just to familiarize myself with it on a motorcycle.
As far as the old market at dashanghui, I asked around and the only answer I could get was to find this market. Apparently many of the vendors from that old market have a few store locations and they move around to fill a need wherever there's a big construction project.

That's it for now.

danielgrenz (32 posts) • 0

Great info on construction materials. Do you have any idea where to get landscape fabric/gardening fabric? I built a sandbox for my kids, but need to drill small holes in the bottom of it so allow for drainage. I'd like to line it with this fabric first, so the sand will stay in and the water will drain out...

Chinizzle (33 posts) • 0

I like your idea, cool! I never built a sandbox before. I know exactly what your looking for, let me ask a friend in the next couple days. My guess is those woven plastic bags made of materials that we use for tarps, that they use for hauling out bits of concrete, would be sufficient for the effect you're going for and those can be obtained at almost any hardware market. What area do you live in?

Chinizzle (33 posts) • 0

Oh, and this is for tigertiger, supplier with a large range of wood products. 昆明中源木业有限公司on 雨龙路1195 is Definitely the place for all range of high quality wood. They can order whatever you need. They even have 6x6 southern yellow pine from the u.s. In stock.

Chinizzle (33 posts) • 0

Anybody out there need custom furniture or retrofitting for their apartment? Shelving for a kitchen with limited counter space?

danielgrenz (32 posts) • 0

@Chinizzle, good idea with the "tarp" found at all of the hardware stores. I tried using that last year for a cover to the sandbox, to find out it is very ineffective at keeping water out, so it probably would work. Though if you know somewhere to get the other fabric that may be preferable. Also, do you think the plywood on the bottom needs any sealant put on it? Or is there somewhere with pressure treated plywood? Anywhere to get larger than 1.2m x 2.4m plywood? the sandbox is 1.3m x 1.3m...

Chinizzle (33 posts) • 0

Daniel,
All good questions. You have me a little scared with plywood on the bottom of your sandbox. The answer is a resounding yes it need to be sealed. Plywood, in its construction is wet and needs to dry properly to be used for anything. If it is in a wet location I'd give it two to three months before it's covered in black mold and likely moss. Kunming is pretty dry, I don't have any long term experience with it here. To correct this potential issue, perhaps, covering it with plastic leaving just holes big enough for the drainage you mentioned, could keep enough moisture out to avoid mold, but yes pressure treated plywood is a better fit, but far better would be to avoid plywood. Perhaps make the bottom out of pressure treated boards leaving a little room between them and then laying the fabric. I did not see green plywood out at the market on 雨龙路, however if it is available it would be at the specialty lumber market mentioned above for tigertiger. 1.2x2.4 is pretty big and as far as I know, no there isn't anything bigger. I'm seeing my friend the landscape architect tonight so I'll try to get a line on that fabric. Hope your project goes well.

Related forum threads

Login to post