GoKunming Forums

Why so many foreigners next to Guang Fu Lu ?

Heller (62 posts) • 0

'Also, I get the feeling they don't want to live among the Philistines, who sink beers all day down by Yi Er Yi. If you raise a kid in that district they may end up become a junkie or streetwalker as per the districts reputation'

This made me chuckle. Escape From Kunming! Crime! Junkies! Streetwalkers! Arrrgh!

You should write for Fox news.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Chicha78: 'They' should raise a large band of people...' - should you be part of it, are you doing it, or are you pinching pennies?

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

They're not all necessarily proslytizing, many are involved in social services or education - but, yeah, it's a slippery slope, proslytization does go on; but yet again, the anti-'missionary' thing is not taken as seriously as it used to be by the forces of law & order (e.g., being a Christian foreigner doesn't mean one is a missionary).

Heller (62 posts) • 0

'Isn't proselytising illegal in China?'

It certainly is. What's interesting about Chicha78's post is that he/she lives on Guang Fu Lu.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Missionaries don't bother me much, unless they're proselytizing on the job as teachers. Nobody 'drags' people to church. I've never heard of Islamic proselytization in China (no doubt there is some, as there is some Christian proselytization, on the sly) which would excite the authorities much more than Christian proselytization would do. Muslim proselytization is not the same as terrorism carried out by Muslims. And what harm do foreigners with student visas who teach English on the sly do? Note that many modern scientific medicine and medical facilities in China, as well as schools and universities, were founded by Christian missionary organizations.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

P.S. I'm tired of reading that threads are locked - do cops come & tell you to do this, or are you self-censoring?.

Anonymous Coward (329 posts) • 0

Perhaps bike theft in Kunming is a problem, but I wouldn't necessarily say that it's a bigger problem in China than in North America or Europe. I've had bikes stolen in Canada. Toronto must be bike theft capital of the world. In Shandong I've been riding a Deore equipped bike around for almost two years now and regularly park it outside (sometimes unlocked).

Related forum threads

Login to post