GoKunming Forums

Kunming advice

ghostpayroll (6 posts) • 0

Hi all. Thanks for reading. People in China have told me for years that Kunming is one of the best cities to live in because of its weather.

Well cool, however, do you have any suggestions on links where I can read about work, housing, scene(music), transportation(bikes, moto, bus), cost of living, what 'teachers' make, culture and of course foods.

seems a lot I know. The simple choices we make in life sometimes are the hardest.

I have lived in Beijing for 10 years. All that time I generally played music and just did what I could to live here. But I lost something important that means so much to me. My outdoor life.

So, another round of questions is in order. What about biking, camping, fishing, ASTRONOMY(Clear skies i hope!), and hiking.

I am a complete fool to think that it is anything like Beijing. here the air and traffic issues coupled with expensive life requirements are just too much for me to take.

My friends say its good there however, they have had problems with work.

I speak and write some putonghua but I hardly ever studied. Except on my own or with close friends.

I prefer cafes to bars and will be most happy if I know people down there whom have lived in Yunnan for a long period of time.

Reason is that I do not plan to ever go back to the USA. why you ask?

well, if you get to know me, you will find the answer. ha!

Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated folks

he ping

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

read through old forum entries and blogs on this site. you'll find much of the information you're looking for.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

If you are white, breathing, and under 60 you will easily find teaching work.

Outdoor life, cafes, are a yes.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Since you are already in China it would benefit you greatly to visit Kunming for yourself and see for yourself.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

yeah but he won't make what he was making in beijing.
what do you think? china is going to let you enjoy clean air and spring weather and hiking options for nothing?

debaser (647 posts) • 0

Following on from what Dazzer said... if you are not 'white' and a native speaker with a university degree it will be harder to get a decent job or any job with a legit work visa here. There is work for musicians here but i doubt it could compare with Beijing in that sense... maybe someone with more experience of 'the scenes' could correct me on that.
For some good reasons to live here you might want to have a look at HFCAMPO's thread titled '101 good reasons to live in China' (or something like that). most are about life in Yunnan or Kunming rather than China.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

You can most likely do exactly what you're doing in Beijing, and survive fine in Kunming. Yes, the outdoor life compared to Beijing will be worth the move. If you are trying to save money in anyway or find future business opportunities, then forget it. Also, any bike you own will be stolen in a few months.

ghostpayroll (6 posts) • 0

my bike doesn't get stolen because its the type of bike that i never leave outside and it never gets locked/left by itself. I bring it inside with me and this also prevents it from rusting.

if someone went through the trouble of breaking into my house, risking their life and can get out in time with my bike, they deserve it.

haha

what about the area just outside of kunming? can one find clear night skies?

Related forum threads

Login to post