GoKunming Forums

No Smoking at Salvador's?

colinflahive (167 posts) • 0

Thank you for all the helpful comments. As far as a smoking and a non-smoking section goes, we have pondered the idea; but I fear that our space is too small and cramped. And I wonder if it might only add to the confusion for those not used to the idea of smoking bans.

Last year I would have said (and did say) that a smoking ban in the restaurant would not work. But a lot has changed since then. Even the cheap cross-country buses have gone no smoking and husbands with pregnant wives have learned the lesson to puff outside the house to spare their child's health.

Beijing will ban public smoking before the Olympics (afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5h_87fj70TlsV8mkXTKbPtdEOLAcg) and Shanghai will ban smoking by 2010 (www.chinacsr.com/[...] Why not get ahead of the game, as it will eventually be the same in Kunming?

Anyway, its a difficult subject from a business standpoint, so I'm hoping that some of you smokers out there who strongly disagree with a smoking ban will make their points. Much obliged.

timkunming (87 posts) • 0

Sounds like a pretty horrible idea to me.

Sure, smoking is bad, and there will always be people who don't want to be around it. But let's be realistic - smoking is here to stay in China, and probably for a very long time. Just because a "ban" is put in place doesn't mean it's going to work.

I would say make some days smoking and some days non-smoking. This sounds like the fairest solution for both parties - if not, simply make a smoking and non-smoking section.

To some of the people who were all for an outright ban of smokers, I have one question: how do you get by in China? Do you ever eat in Chinese restaurants?

Unless Salvador's want to lose business by banning smokers from having a drink or a nice meal at their restaurant and send these people to other businesses, an outright ban just doesn't seem very plausible.

prd34 (59 posts) • 0

A lot of people don't seem to be aware that WEDNESDAYS are NO-SMOKING days at Salvador's. I, my colleagues, and my family are doing our best to support Salvador's in this endeavor by patronizing their establishment every Wednesday. One of my friends, who suffers from Asthma is especially grateful since cigarette smoke seems to be one of the triggers for her asthma attacks. I think the owners of Salvador's are also a bit worried about losing possible business on this day so I would like to encourage other non-smokers out there to do the same and patronize this restaurant on Wednesdays. Also, getting rid of WiFi was definitely a good thing for those of us who suffer from EHS (Electrohypersensitivity). Now, if they could only ban cell phone use in the restaurant -- like they are now doing in many places in Japan -- that would be wonderful!

articles.mercola.com/[...]

I am sure that it is also a good idea not to expose the staff there to the constant dribble of pulsed modulated microwave radiation from a WiFi system. :)

peace

justally (7 posts) • 0

I agree, though I'm a smoker, still I hate inhale second-hand smoke. Cuz self-destruction is enough for me, no crying for help... oop, my English is really broken these days

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

I'm a pretty heavy smoker, but I'd keep coming to Sal's if it went smoke free anyway. It doesn't take a whole lot of effort to walk out to the raised part in the front, and a lot of the smokers seem to hang out there anyway.
The food is good enough and enough of the clientele are non-smokers that I think Sal's could pull it off no problem.
The only thing that would "alienate" the smokers would be going smoke free with a vengeance, i.e. banning it on the outside bar as well as inside.

timkunming (87 posts) • 0

While the WiFi was clearly a decision on Salvador's part for whatever reason - it doesn't affect me much as I use the internet at home. The hub at the center table downstairs is a great idea, though.

EHS aside, I do believe most other establishments that cater to the same clientele are still using WiFi networks as an added service to customers, so I suppose for most of you who are "allergic" to these radio waves it's an added bonus for you. However, banning cell phone use is a bit too much. There are millions of cell phones being used all the time in this city, and banning their use in a restaurant to cater to a select few who are sensitive to them seems to overstep the boundaries of common sense.

In terms of what's going on now at Salvador's, I think a great common ground has been found so that those who don't appreciate smoking can still come and enjoy the food during specific times.

Or you could always go to a missionary joint and not have to worry about it at all...

Krismoonpie (80 posts) • 0

So funny to read this again after Salvador's has had a non-smoking section for several months now and we couldn't be happier. Just read in the Chinese news this last week that supposedly all public businesses including bars, restaurants and shopping centers must go non-smoking starting on Jan 1 2011. Not sure if it'll happen but I'm looking forward to it!

Related forum threads

Login to post