GoKunming Forums

No Smoking at Salvador's?

colinflahive (167 posts) • 0

We have talked about getting rid of smoking at Salvador's from the day we opened 3 and a half years ago. But there is the question of whether or not it would alienate our clientelle too much. Recently we were given the idea to first try it out one day a week. Kind of like the no car days once a month in Kunming. See how it goes and whether or not it is feasible to make it an every-day thing.

Our employees are all full time, and many have worked for us over 3 years. We hate the fact that they spend half of their days inhaling all that smoke. So I would really like to hear what you all have to say... especially the smokers. Thanks

Jared (19 posts) • 0

No complaints from me. Actually, I imagine the response would be pretty positive from Westerners and Chinese alike. I don't know of any other restaurants with a no-smoking policy. Best of luck.

Bernie (101 posts) • 0

This is the way the world is heading, therefore it would not be sensible to try to avoid the trend.

There will always be someone who doesn't accept the data about second-hand smoke, but you can't attempt to please everyone in a successful business plan.

Make a decision and . . . feel happy about it.

Amina (29 posts) • 0

I think it is a great idea. We are new to Kunming and have been in Salvadors a few times this week with our two small children. We are from Australia and the non-smoking policy is really working over there now too, so I reckon go for it!

Greginchina (239 posts) • 0

I wouldn't mind at all if you banned smoking but bring back the WIFI. I used to come to Salvadors regularly for lunch because I knew that I could have a great burrito, a decent cappuccino (I was not someone who ordered 1 coffee and sat for hours taking advantage of the free internet) and do some work using my laptop. That wired table on the ground floor is too much like an internet cafe to make it comfortable and doesnt really allow for room to have a full meal and use the computer during lunch time.

Banning something that is scientifically proven to kill and also can shorten the lives of those around is admirable. The fear about the dangers of WIFI on the other hand are hearsay and speculation.

It is rational to ban smoking, I feel it is irrational to ban WIFI.

Greginchina (239 posts) • 0

P.S. To qualify my previous post I used to smoke a lot, have given up but still smoke sometimes. I am absolutely not anti-smoking. But I do think its a bit nasty around food and even when I was smoking a pack a day I would have been happy to go outside for a smoke rather than breath it over someone's food.

Tiger (66 posts) • 0

Greg; imagining your keyboard covered in burrito crumbs doesn't present a good argument for WiFi. It may not be as well proven as second-hand smoke but it's certainly more than just 'hearsay'.

Terry (7 posts) • 0

I think a smoke free Salvadors is a great idea. The good food and good coffee should keep people coming back regardless of whether or not they can smoke inside.

hedgepig (273 posts) • 0

@Greginchina
I think that the introduction of wired internet was more a business-minded response to tables being used for extended periods of time by internet users who spent relatively little money than a tacit agreement with the anti-EMR minority. Entirely reasonable, in my opinion.

Regarding the smoking ban issue, i'd say that the idea is worth experimenting with.

I'm a non-smoker myself, but i am generally speaking tolerant of those who choose to smoke. However, i find Colin's original point about the staff very compelling, and i can think of other groups (families with children; people who like to taste their food as the chef intended; sportspeople) who might also be in support.

A counterargument to banning is often heard: that a polite request to a smoker that they cease/move is unlikely to be refused. I think this argument is weakened here, due to language barriers existing between Salvador's clientele, and due to smoking being so endemic in this country that such a request might not be understood even if language barriers are not relevant.

Good luck with the one day experiment. May I suggest that it is clearly signposted, every day (not just on the day in which it is enforced), with the signs appearing in advance of the ban to allow as many people as possible to alter their plans if needs be, and that it is enforced rigorously.

Related forum threads

Login to post