GoKunming Forums

Replacement Mobile Phone Battery

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

I need a new battery for my Samsung smartphone. It's a foreign model, but I think phones are sold in China w/ the same battery inside.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to purchase a high quality replacement battery (doesn't have to be samsung brand) without getting a fake or one that has limited capacity because it's been lying around in warehouses for a few years?

Thanks.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

Samsung are apparently branded as Anycall here. there are a fair few shops at Baihui Commercial Plaza (1 stop on from Xiao Xi Men on DongFeng Xi Lu). No idea how to be sure of the quality but i'm pretty sure that it will be cheaper if you get a local chinese person to buy it for you!

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd add my 两分. Most aftermarket batteries are crap. But I have had excellent experiences with three batteries on two different HTC phones from a company called Momax. Get the "X-Level" line. They're as good or possibly better than the original batteries.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Reviving another old thread.

My Samsung phone has started complaining about deteriorating battery performance, which I can also observe from slow recharge times.

It is a few years old model (2018), with no warranty left or anything of the kind.

Still it functions well otherwise, so I would want to replace the battery instead of buying a new phone. However, it's new enough for battery replacement not being a simple plug and play thing.

The phone was bought abroad, which apparently is a problem.

My wife called the official Samsung service where they do these operations in Kunming, who told that they only do this service for phones bought in China. I first thought they might have misunderstood for service under warranty, but that's not the case here.

In theory I could replace the battery myself if I can acquire the replacement battery and the needed set of tools.

But I want to double-check that the information given to my wife is correct - has anyone else ran into this sort of restriction, with Samsung or other brands?

tigertigerathome (172 posts) • 0

From my experience, that sort of restriction is not unusual. You might have some luck with some of the backstreet places on 1-2-1 Da Jie, or the surrounding area. If they cannot help you it will be because that battery type is not, or no longer, available in China.

livinginchina (232 posts) • 0

I was thinking the same thing. You can also try Taobao. They might have a service where you can send your cellphone and they will replace the battery for you.

Related forum threads

Login to post