GoKunming Forums

china mobile and my vpn troubles

SJayne (33 posts) • 0

@kurtosis: yes I am and yes, you're right- obsf4 won't work. Have not tried obsf3, but one should assume same situation. Meek-azure also not working. Though I wonder if these would work if a VPN was being used... have not tried any

custom bridges, so I can't comment on that.

Best bridge is meek-amazon, speeds comparable to other browsers :)

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

@kurtosis using pictures sounds interesting but way above my needs lol
As for the speed I'd just imagined the initial step of connecting to your server in europe would always add a time delay compared to choosing a server in say HK or Japan. Suppose if the sites you're accessing are in Europe as well then that wouldn't be a real problem.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

Ministry of Industry and I.T. stated sometime last year that the final cut-off date for non-licensed VPNs would be March 31st 2018. Overseas companies can then use ‘approved providers’. Cost and availability probably out of reach for individuals.

kurtosis (86 posts) • +2

Well I guess everyone here should then go ahead and download that tor solution browzer. And prepare backup solutions.
Although I'm quite confident that those VPN providers will simply obfuscate the traffic so that you can keep using it.

kurtosis (86 posts) • +1

I can't find any official communication that states that VPNs will be blocked.

The MIIT only issued a note last year stating that there will be a stricter enforcment of the law regarding renting out or selling VPN services:

www.miit.gov.cn/[...]

Order 22 hasn't been amended - but was probably misinterpreted. It states that it is illegal to run international connections without approval - but it means physical connection, e.g. using satellites. Not VPNs:
www.miit.gov.cn/[...]

The CCP's Global Times also published an article stating that VPNs won't be blocked:

www.globaltimes.cn/content/1083918.shtml

So I hope the official communication is simply over interpreted by journalists.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

If you think that there is a 100% effective cloak, dream on. A vpn will not cloak your communications. I would imagine that most communication channels are already compromised.
Most journalists will be playing by the rules in China, and will have not need to hide what they are doing. Only a few investigative journalists will be going off piste.

Related forum threads

Login to post