GoKunming Forums

Using internet in Yunnan as a tourist

christian4870 (68 posts) • 0

Hi,
I have a Nexus 7 (Google) Android Tablet, which i would like to take with me on the journey to yunnan in autumn this year. This tablet has no data, only wifi. Is it possible to use this in yunnan for google maps, google search, emails. I would prefer this to my smartphone.
Everyone some experience with this?

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Google is block and spotty at best so no. You would have to use a vpn to have access.

i was expecting this answer. So i have to take my smartphone with me, is there a local sim-data-card with VPN which you can recommend?

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

You can still use your table just install a VPN app. Look at the Google play store and you will find plenty.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

A vpn is a service you sign up with and pay monthly usually, though there are some free ones, but they are mostly tunneling proxys which are a bit different, but still do the same function of letting you access blocked sites.

You can always hotspot wifi for tablet via your phone if it can get 3g/4g in China.

Too bad the unblocked version of Google maps is missing the english and pinyin, that would of been nice. Osm has gotten very good for tier2 cities now, but still lacking for countryside and smaller cities.

@ AlexKMG: but with vpn you get a version of google and google maps where english (international) names are indicated..? i.E, with www.google.com or www.google.de
Is this correct?

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

Yes the VPN will allow you to use any site not just the Chinese versions, so you can access that. These will show all the info in whatever language google maps you choose plus have the name of places in the language you choose as well as the Chinese name.

Related forum threads

Login to post