GoKunming Forums

Using internet in Yunnan as a tourist

christian4870 (68 posts) • 0

I would prefer free VPN for Android, because i will use it only, when in Yunnan. Does anybody has experience with "Cloud VPN" or "PSIPHON" in Yunnan? Both are free.
Or any other recommendation?
I saw that ExpressVPN is the most common, but I would have to cancel the agreement after using in yunnan, so it´s more inconvenient

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

www.google.cn/maps/
has English / international / Pinyin spelling as well as Chinese characters.
I however use it just as a web page on a PC. Just found out that on my iPad it is characters only.

You can download the Galileo App as well and that is in western script and even available off-line.
Apple maps works as well and is in western script and has recently viewed maps still in memory when off-line.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

My experience with free VPN is that they often don't work properly and that they slow down things enormously and that therefore your maps don't load or load very slowly.

I would recommend for your purpose to use Galileo maps because they are in a format that you can read and any of the above mentioned maps in Chinese for if you have to explain to a Chinese where you want to go. Simply find the Chinese name on the location of where you found the western script version in Galileo.
The good thing about Galileo is that you don't need any phone or Wifi connection. It simply works off-line so you already can download the China map in Austria.

What I do is simply print out the area off interest in Google.cn.maps beforehand and carry these hardcopies with me (And they are bilingual) Greate to make additional notes on as well. I don't like to depend on phone or Wifi connections with or without VPN.

Hi,
again one question. In some countries, at some wifi hotspots, you need also a telephone/sim to set up your wifi password. You have to send back a confirmation to get your wifi password worked.. Is it also this way in yunnan? If so, it would be better to take my smartphone with me, instead of the tablet and buy a low cost prepaid sim...

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Some wifi is like that, but in Yunnan not so much. Maybe KFC, McDonalds, a mall, and the airport. You should get a sim anyways as it's not too expensive and can have 3g for baidu maps for buses and wechat for communication.

@alexKMG:
thank you, i have to decide, eighter take my smartphone or my tablet without phone possiblility. I do not want to take both with me, normally I would prefer the tablet...because easier readable..

Related forum threads

Login to post