GoKunming Forums

GoKM Saying and Doing

GordWalsh (39 posts) • 0

I applaud GoKM for finally stopping the thread yesterday, it took them long enough, and it was nice of them to post their reasoning behind it:

"Each recently locked, moved or deleted thread was done so as a measure to prevent trolling and hate speech. Furthermore, it is within our terms of service to do so at our discretion. We really do hope to help all people build better lives here. That begins with mutual respect and constructive discussions."

I just find it interesting, and maybe they would like to explain, why some people had their accounts completely erased and others, I'd say the ones putting out the majority of the hate, are today posting again? (Napoleon in the Driven to kill forum)

This is baffling.

Likely this thread will get deleted for being too critical of them. This account too will likely be erased.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

I appreciate GoKM's stopping of the thread, although I disagree that real 'hate' was involved (I think the term 'hate speech' is way overused - offensiveness is not necessarily 'hate'). If 'had their accounts completely erased' means some people are now shut out of posting, I disagree - personally, I'm willing to put up with the irresponsible, annoying, offensive (up to a point, anyway), ego-insecure, ignorant, prejudiced, irrational, obsessive and idiotic crap some posters feel compelled to contribute - although I'm fine with humor and sarcasm, even when I don't get it - in the name of my ridiculous belief in the importance of always-imperfect dialogue, reason and information - although I'm not challenging this particular decision to stop the 'beating women' discussion.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I notice the ones that were deleted were the ones created for the sole purpose of trolling. "Captain..." and others were guilty of this while others chose to be deleted by request. I guess other were deleted at the administrator's discretion. Just my 2 cents.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

"Likely this thread will get deleted for being too critical of them. This account too will likely be erased."

I doubt it. I've been coming here a long time, and know both the original and current ownership. They've stepped in to stop ridiculous threads before, but I've never seen them zap a thread or account just for being critical of them.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

The discussion certainly went completely off track. By the time I came back to check it, it was already locked and filled with trash and bully posts.

GordWalsh (39 posts) • 0

@Alien - we can use a generic definition of hate speech - taken from wiki - "In law, hate speech is any speech, gesture or conduct, writing, or display which is forbidden because it may incite violence or prejudicial action against or by a protected individual or group, or because it disparages or intimidates a protected individual or group."

You can take that apart and pull at it as much as you want. Obviously what falls under it is offensive. Napoleon was using names and addressing his comments at people, "ncsimon" and "ncsimon's" wife for one. Sarah_B was also clearly quite unimpressed.

If woman was exchanged for a race or religious minority would it still just offend you?

What qualifies as hate for you?

@Xiefei I would like to believe you, but perhaps you weren't following the yesterday's thread so closely - "ncsimon" had criticized GoKM, using strong language, for not taking the post down immediately - that post of his has mysteriously disappeared, and now his account is banned. So I guess the hammer does fall hard if they want, but it is their site, so I guess that's fine. In any case it does happen.

It's just pretty sad to see that nothing, despite what they said, happened to the "offensive" users.

Daithi (426 posts) • 0

I dislike censorship. Whether its due to political or PC reasons. We are all adults. Once you start censoring humour ur on a slippery slope.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

@GordWalsh: ncsimon also unleashed a string of profanity and anger. I am surprised the Napoleon survived, but ncsimon didn't just criticize GoKunming.

Related forum threads

Login to post