GoKunming Forums

GoKM Saying and Doing

scally (127 posts) • 0

Any form of moderation is never going to please everyone. We generally wait for an indeterminate amount of time to see if a forum will get back on track, and, if it doesn't, we lock or delete it.

As for banning users, those we deem to be trolling just for the fun of it are removed.

The goal of the forums is to provide a place for discussing issues of sustained relevance to those living in or interested in Yunnan. When any of them result in flame wars or personal attacks, we reserve the right to moderate at our discretion. But remember, we are just as human as everyone else and make decisions that may, from time to time, be unpopular.

We want GoKunming to remain a place where people discuss what is important to them, but preferably in a civil manner. The forums are generally more cool-headed, informative and entertaining than most, and we hope that distinction can be maintained.

GordWalsh (39 posts) • 0

@xiefei

I'm not trying to suggest "ncsimon" should not have had his account banned, although for him to be the only one is remarkable.

anyway, as scally says, it's their discretion, some GoKM users are more equal than others.

Daithi (426 posts) • 0

@scally I appreciate it musr be tremendously difficult to administer a website like GoKunming! You guts do a great job! Long may it continue!

Daithi (426 posts) • 0

@scally I appreciate it musr be tremendously difficult to administer a website like GoKunming! You guts do a great job! Long may it continue!

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

@GordWalsh. I guess if you can provide some Yunnan travel advice, you're allowed to make misogynistic comments. Poor ncsimon hadn't proved of any value to GoKunming.com.

@scally. My prior question still stands. If users are banned over fights about mixian but misogyny is alright, then what does that reflect about GoKunming.com?

SarahB (50 posts) • 0

I am surprised that Napoleon, the one who made the "jokes" about beating women, and HFCAMPO, the one who egged him on joyously and constantly complains about China, were allowed to stay, but hey, it's not my website.

GordWalsh (39 posts) • 0

@AlexKMG, @SarahB

It seems that some things are considered trolling and worth banning, like calling misogynists out and asking the website and moderators to deal with it, and other things are considered "discussing issues of sustained relevance," like making hate-filled jokes.

Agree with AlexKMG, this just reflects so poorly on GoKunming.com

redjon77 (510 posts) • 0

You can never really get rid of the rat infestation in some places. No matter how many times you try, they'll pop back up again leaving their s**t everywhere ;)

Give it up and create an account that you want to use properly rather than just to attack/troll.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

Red flag #1: Newly register account

Red flag #2: Very few posts or, many posts in a short period of time

Red flag #3: Starts right into discussing / criticizing other users / forum topics without participating in the more mundane topics such as travel advice or logistical problems first.

All three combined usually means a troll account, perfect candidate for deletion.

While I don't always Agree with the webmaster'S actions or policies, I do have to give them unconditional support for all that they've done for the expat community.

Hope this clarify things for you Gord, or whatever your new alias is.

Related forum threads

Login to post