GoKunming Forums

Earthquake just now?

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

Just reading the news now and I can see that the number of people killed is now up to 367.
I felt absolutely nothing, but I did wonder why a grape had rolled off the table. My wife and daughter also felt nothing. We live in the north on LinYu Lu, so we're closer (by a few kilometers) than other people who reported feeling the shaking.

seahorse62 (141 posts) • 0

I think you have to be up a little. We are on the 6th floor, and I easily felt it. My daughter was outside, and she felt nothing. We are down south near Dianchi Rd.

bluegrass14 (126 posts) • 0

Are there any opportunities anyone is aware of yet for those who want to help out/give to the relief efforts from the earthquake?

Gompo (152 posts) • 0

if u feel it more up, does that mean tall buildings more dangerous?

tall buildings r new trends.

anyone knows about safety regulations and prevention, exercise?

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Agree with seahorse62. I was outside at the time and felt nothing. Maybe a good thing as I live twenty floors high now.

@gompo
Tall buildings are more dangerous, but they usually build them better as they are newer and the designers need to compensate against all the dangers related to height. It does takes a lot longer to get out of a high rise, especially if you have to go down twenty flights of stairs.

If you see the pictures of collapsed buildings from this quake, most are less than three stories. Probably because they don't bother with reinforced concrete or have rebar the thickness of a wire.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

new buildings usually with earthquke design, and so they sway/wobble instead of snap. most buinding that collapse are made of brick or mudbrick.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

This afternoon I got an email from the Canadian Consulate in Chongqing advising me of the earthquake (that I learned about from GoKunming).
They suggested that even if I'm OK it would be a good idea to contact friends and relatives back home to tell them that. I guess it cuts down on the number of "emergency" inquiries going to the consulates or embassies.

Related forum threads

Login to post