GoKunming Forums

Latin Learning Group

Ne7erwinter (12 posts) • 0

A couple of friends and I have started an unofficial Latin learning group. Usually we meet on Thursday afternoon on the campus of Yunnan University (old campus), near the clock tower, for a joint learning/exchange session. After that, we would briefly visit the lakeside English Corner... thing... before finally settling down for a relaxed conversation over beer in a nearby bar.

The textbooks we are presently using include Latin First Year (Magoffin & Henry), Wheelock's Latin 6th Revision and Latin for Beginners (Benjamin L. D'Ooge).

Anyone out there who doesn't mind wasting some time (that may have been more constructively employed elsewhere) by struggling with this old fossil of an outdated language please feel free to reply to the thread or contact me at ne.erwinter(at)gmail.com (Lorenzo).

Ego tibi maximus gratias ago and we look forward to meeting you!

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

Oy vey iz mir!
Latin is extremely useful for those in medical, bio, and some other scientific fields of study. Even knowing basic Latin prefixes and suffixes can help a lot in teaching ESP, depends on subject.

tommann (423 posts) • 0

I have a minor in Latin and I have taught Latin at the university level. I would be very interested in meeting with you. When and where specifically? This could be fun.

Gompo (152 posts) • 0

As philosopher i m rather on the greek side, though i do not defend them

Reading the Eneids these days (i could never read the greek equivalent)

Ne7erwinter (12 posts) • 0

Dazzer, Tommann and Linie, thanks! I'm actually a bit surprised to have this many people reply to my thread... Guess dear Latin isn't all that dead after all.

Tomorrow we'll be two or three people, depending on availability. Anyway, I think you might want to bring your favourite Latin books with you, as our textbooks are undoubtedly boring.

WARNING: apart from our group leader (he'll be present tomorrow) all of us are absolute beginners. I have yet to learn my 3rd Conjugation! (OMG! OMG!) However, you advanced scholars will still be able to share with one another. So... it will sort itself out eventually...? ╮(╯▽╰)╭

I propose that we meet around 15:30 at Sunshine Book Bar (阳光书吧, this is located in the back of Yunnan University Library, in the same building on the old campus on 121 Avenue). My mobile number is 137 0063 9975. Valete!

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

maybe your club can translate the latin phrases on the US dollar bill?

E Pluribus Unum
Annuit Coeptis
Novus Ordo Seclorum

Related forum threads

Login to post