GoKunming Forums

New law targets foreigners' illegal presence

Ahmet (98 posts) • 0

They can make all the rules and regulations the want, but until the rule of law actually exists in China it's nothing more than another reason for low level flunkies to trump up their sense of self importance and another opportunity for increasing the already rampant corruption.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

@liumingke I can understand why you simply pasted the link above without comment. It's an example of regurgitated stories with an indulgent dollop of tenuous links to 'what happened to me at work today'. The writer all but admits to be being utterly confused (his current post being a U turn from his last incoherent ramble) and as such, no different to anyone else who attempts to turn China into a coherent story. Well written rants riddled with culture clash are much less embarrassing and far more entertaining.

joshwa (67 posts) • 0

Today I got a call from the police, telling me my visa has expired! (It hasn't— I have a new one but they seem not to have it in their system).

The message appears to be making its way down the food chain...

Alice_in_ChinaLand (1 post) • 0

Having looked at the English translation of the law and the analysis on www.lawandborder.com—which Geezer has mentioned—it seems that there hasn't been enough reporting on China's new Exit-Entry Administration Law, i.e., immigration law:

Article 42: The government will publish a list of specific industries and occupations that are prohibited to, encouraged, or restricted to foreigners seeking work visas. I wonder if my job will be on the list.

Article 45: Chinese citizens are required to blow the whistle by contacting the public security bureau if they discover that a foreigner is living or working illegally in China. (The government must figure that pressure to inform on others worked really well during the Cultural Revolution). Anyway, be careful what you say to your friends and acquaintances.

Article 21: The law gives statute officers unfettered discretion to refuse a visa if for any reason issuance is "not suitable." Nor is the officer required to explain to the applicant the reason for the refusal. (Picture an officer saying this, "I have complete power to deny your visa for any reason or no reason at all. Do you have anything in your wallet that may help your case?")

Related forum threads

Login to post