GoKunming Forums

New law targets foreigners' illegal presence

debaser (647 posts) • 0

interesting. the title of the article seems a little biased, suggesting maybe that the presence of all foreigners might be illegal! ...at least, that's what i first read. the fact that the article repeatedly mentions 'visas' while not mentioning residence permits ties in with my earlier thread and may have been what i was warned of. interesting too that they talk of foreigners who "enter, live or work" illegally rather than this being just a work visa issue.

Geezer, thanks for the link.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

I recently learned that some people do Enter China illegally without a visa by means of the Local borders (Not international border) between China and Laos and Vietnam. Now I realize that China not only has a problem with (1) foreigners working illegally without a work permit but also (2) people entering China without a visa and (3) staying beyond the deadline of their visa.

In the end, more rules just make things more difficult for those of us who are here legally. I was glad to see that the govt will fine the employers who hire illegal workers.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

All just part of the cleanup campaigns prior to the start of the next power transition later this year. As we approach the transition period, all the usual "entertainment" venues will also be either shutdown or heavily restricted. Happens ever five years, whenever major gov officials pop into town, and in a somewhat watered down fashion - every year before the annual reports to Beijing.

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

Sure, and those people you refer to are usually desperate, poverty stricken Vietnamese villagers looking to make more money in China, but they usually get sent back rather quickly once caught.

Still, since the penalties for illegally crossing a border and illegally working in China are quite severe compared to other countries, I don't think that many people try the above; it's usually in SE Asia where it's a big problem - i.e. Myanmar nationals working illegally in Thailand but then eventually being allowed to stay in some cases.

When it comes to overtaying visas and/or working on tourist visas, this is a common practice whereby the person involved does not seek to obtain a proper work visa for whatever reason. The same thing happens in SE Asia, particularly Thailand where huge numbers of foreigners (mostly westerners) were abusing the visa system by living in the country on 30 day tourist "visas" and were working on these. The country started clamping down and restricting overland crossings to just 15 day stays for westerners, plus introducing a 90 day in 180 day rule for residing in Thailand on visa exemptions for all visa-exempt nationals.

Sounds like China is trying to do the same, and as long as it's possible to obtain a work visa for legally working and residing in China, then I don't see why some people still go down the illegal route.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

I can see it becoming a bigger and bigger problem for China as they get comparatively richer compared to their neighbours. No surprise really.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

More info:

"All you need to know about China's new Exit-Entry Law"

shanghaiist.com/[...]

"China urges citizens to report illegal immigrants, tightens rules"

latimesblogs.latimes.com/[...]

Not just a crackdown, this law appears to be a major shift in the way expats will be handled in China. If you are here and your status is legal there does not seem to be much to worry about. If you are working illegally, don't piss off you girl friend.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Well you should worry about the new 90day min. They could easily make that the de facto.

TICexpats (207 posts) • 0

Its the new USA and the illegal foreigners that think that China will ingore you as the USA does...big mistake !!!

Your not growing tomatoes in CA paying no taxes or being their children s nanny for a burrito a day.

The CPC, wants your money in taxes, their children need money, darn Harvard is expensive.
The problem in a way is Chinese on micro blogs are highlighting day after day how Govt running dogs are stealing money from the Chinese, the dogs need new income sources that can't complain and one of them is the Foreign barbarian dog with no voice.

TIC

Related forum threads

Login to post