GoKunming Forums

Many Condo complexes (小区) are giving Covid testing

22Yossarian (16 posts) • 0

They should just buy Western vaccines.

Omicron makes COVID 0 an impossible target, it is just too transmissible. China, after an initial failure in Wuhan did a remarkable job of containing COVID. But, Omicron isn’t containable.

The Western vaccines are better at preventing death and hospitalization with the variants than Sinovac.

The current COVID policy just isn’t workable and has no end.

michael2015 (784 posts) • +1

For the record, the USA recently reported over 900k COVID related deaths, based on a net population of approximately 300 million.

The global cumulative death rate is currently over 6 million.

China's cumulative death count is still hovering around 4.6k, based a net population of approximately 1.3-1.4 billion.

When COVID first surfaced it was pandemic - but the world responded and managed to somewhat contain the pandemic using standard control practices - quarantines and testing until vaccines could be developed.

As with most viruses - COVID was expected to mutate which it has several times.

AIDS and other STDs were also pandemic but were eventually brought under control after years of studies.

Not sure where 22Yossarian is getting his data from - China's end results are inarguable - it's efforts are working - maybe not the magic bullet that we all see on fictitious Hollywood - but the scientific and patient methodical approach works. Disparaging China's vaccines is ingenuous at best, based on the combined successes of mass vaccinations, quarantines, and testing. As to why the USA's CDC couldn't respond appropriately is anyone's guess.

There is no quick fix to a rapidly mutating virus - the best we can do short term is develop vaccines to try to minimize the spread and severity of the virus until it burns itself out. It's sort of a hybrid herd mentality - like a controlled forest burn.

The USA attempted to politicize science - that rarely works well, while spending an inordinate amount of time and resources finger-pointing - which doesn't resolve the issue. China had emerged from several massive pandemic situations - SARS, swine flu's etc and aside from a few speed bumps from corrupt officials - quickly went into high gear and engaged the pandemic head on.

AIDs was rampant and pandemic in the USA and the rest of the world - but it was never called the American STD. It was eventually blamed on some monkeys in Africa...after countless years of searching for an answer that could satisfy a politicized narrative...last time I bothered to check the narrative.

fabey (124 posts) • 0

Friendly update: Kunming is quietly experiencing a hush hush outbreak. At least four residential communities I know of are under strict lockdown guarded by 大白. "Dabai" is the nickname affectionately given to medical staff in white hazmat suit. TCM are also handed out to residents to consume vonluntarily.

Last night, Tongde Kunming Plaza (TKP is situated at the intersection of Beijing Road and Baiyun Road) was locked down. The MRT Line 2 station (forgot the name) underneath TKP is now closed off.

Normal Line 2 operation will skip over this station.
www.gokunming.com/en/listings/item/33580/tongde-kunming-plaza

bubblyian (102 posts) • 0

Yes, one case in Tongde and everyone in Panlong is required to do five tests in five days to avoid a 'yellow' code. Massive queues at all testing centres in the north....

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Also in Panlong district, when picking up kid from kindergarten today the teacher said tomorrow there is no attendance.

Later in the class group chat she just gave message "If there are any questions, call me". The other parent did, and was told there is no information when kindergarten would resume.

kc430kc430 (81 posts) • 0

Here is the text msg I got this morning. If I understand correctly, implies I was in Tonde vicinity and potentially subject to yellow code, even though I haven't been in Kunming since Sunday evening, 2 days ago. I might have been in a vehicle near that location earlier in the weekend, however. I am planning to get daily PCR tests where I am located, several provinces away at the moment. Hope to return to Kunming in a few days.

温馨提示经大数据排查您与新冠肺炎核酸检测阳性人员在盘龙区同德昆明广场片区白云66地下商场存在时空交集为了您和他人的身体健康将对您赋黄码”,5天内完成5次核酸检测后转绿码”,每次检测间隔24小时请您积极支持配合做好居家健康监测若有不适症状及时就医期间不得前往公共场所和人员聚集区非必要不外出确需外出做好个人防护不乘坐公共交通工具。(市疫情防控指挥部

Related forum threads

Login to post