GoKunming Forums

Increased anti-foreigner sentiment?

herenow (357 posts) • +2

@bubblyian wrote: "Blaming foreigners makes no sense as since 28 March, the only people allowed into China are Chinese people."

Unfortunately, that is mostly irrelevant in the current situation. An international struggle is underway for control of the narrative about the outbreak, and that overrides all other considerations.

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

My Chinese business contacts frequently poke me (physically) and semi-jokingly tell me "USA (or American) go home" (qinglish for Yankee go home).

They're generally patriotically displeased with the USA's attempted blame narratives. Difficult to explain this spastic finger pointing is a pervasive and persistent cultural thing...in most cultures...

vicar (817 posts) • 0

It’s called xenophobia and racism. Let’s be honest. Basically, if you don’t like it...leave, like many are doing or trying to do though China seems a safer bet than the rest of the world at the minute. Just looking at the latest Corona figures and China has done an outstanding job to only lose 3000 people to Corona. Russia, China, North Korea...all shining examples of what can be done if we just get our heads together for the greater good of society.

CromsonCromson (145 posts) • +3

@vicar
Well, after a "small" correction yesterday it's up to 4600 now...

I would be very careful in trusting official numbers, but maybe that's just me. Take care everyone!

Haali (1178 posts) • +1

Generally speaking, the places that have dealt with this best are the ones with the least freedom to start with, because they didn't hesitate to act quickly to curtail the spread. However, that doesn't mean they are best places to live once the crisis is over. I'm glad that the worst of the racism hasn't yet reached Kunming. But, it may do in the coming days/weeks/months, so be prepared.

Mikhail_Ivanova (6 posts) • 0

New development regarding the xenophobia reported in Guangzhou towards Africans:

"Chen Xiaodong, the Assistant Minister of Foreign Affairs, told more than 20 ambassadors from African nations in a meeting on Monday that the Guangdong authorities were 'improving measures and would gradually lift health management [restrictions] over African nationals except those who were infected, their close contacts and suspected cases'."

www.scmp.com/[...]

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

The African exodus has been going on for years. The virus just speed up their exit.

bubblyian (102 posts) • 0

Interesting post on the government website today:

"South China's Guangdong province has unveiled measures requiring nine sectors, namely healthcare, education, catering, transportation, tourist attractions, hospitality, shopping malls, residential communities and house leasing, to offer equal services in accordance with laws and regulations to all Chinese and foreign nationals in the province."

english.www.gov.cn/[...]

Related forum threads

Login to post