GoKunming Forums

Increased anti-foreigner sentiment?

Cahzriel (26 posts) • 0

Some people I know are getting stopped and aggressively checked for temperature when walking on the street, getting denied entry at cafes and parks while Chinese are still allowed to enter, not being allowed into apartment complexes, etc., and I've personally noticed people staring (even more than the usual degree), people getting off elevators when I get on, more screenings than in the past. Apparently, there is a hair salon in Beijing that will not be serving foreign customers as well.

Some of this seems like new policy stemming from the fear of re-infection from international arrivals, but some of it also feels like plain anti-foreigner sentiment.

Now, correlation does not imply causation, and I'm sure I also have been keeping more distance from others over the last few weeks, but things feel slightly more pronounced these last couple of days.

Has anyone else seen or felt any other instances of anti-foreigner sentiment in the rise? It's a tough thing to quantify, so I'm trying to get a general read of the situation.

GoKunming (162 posts) • 0

Please feel free to share your personal experiences and we will update below section as is needed. Please don't share anecdotal 'news' or hearsay from Beijing or other places, only relevant Yunnan info, thank you.

www.gokunming.com/[...]

Cahzriel (26 posts) • 0

I cannot find an edit button on my post, though I am happy to remove the one sentence that mentions the experience of a friend in Beijing.

I'm simply broadly interested in getting a read on whether or not people in Yunnan have witnessed an increase in anti-foreign sentiment. I assumed this would be a topic of relevance to posters on "Living in Kunming"?

coastalfire (28 posts) • 0

Yeah my language teacher the other morning mentioned that Chinese people have started getting angry that foreigners might bring the virus back into China...
en.wikipedia.org/[...] -- obviously this is not a one-way deal lol

DanDare (141 posts) • +1

Probably a case of more controls. People not being allowed into places if they don't have their passports and more passport checks. I will be carrying mine now. Thinking back a few weeks people with Hubei id cards were being denied access to places.

Prapancha (18 posts) • 0

Cahzriel, may I ask about the people you know who were denied entries and stopped on the street for temperature checks, were they wearing masks? I realize actions were aggressive even if they weren't.

GoKunming (162 posts) • 0

Please only share your personal experiences in Yunnan, not secondhand information. Keep it factual and without insinuations please. Thank you.

hongxiongmao (50 posts) • +2

I went to Xihua park both yesterday and the day before without any more checks or measures than the Chinese visitors there. I've entered shops the recent days (supermarkets, pharmacies, restaurants) without any hassle.

Noone stopped me randomly on the street to check my temperature.

Related forum threads

Login to post