Tenwest Mandarin School

Forums

New Coronavirus

mihani (9 posts) • +1

What extra precautions are being taken at KM airport, train and bus terminals?

Tighter screenings for inbound flights from Wuhan?

Are N95 masks still available or mostly sold out at KM pharmacies?

Keep in mind, the virus isn't only transmitted through inhalation, but by "touching an object or surface (e.g. door knobs, buttons) with the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes before washing your hands."

Be mindful of keeping hands from unconsciously touching own face. We do so hundreds of times a day without realizing.

The dirtiest places on a commercial jet isn't the toilet, but the food tray and seat belt beside you. So carrying disinfectant wipes or bottles with you may compliment the N95 mask as first defense.

Geezer (1927 posts) • +1

Most important is to simply wash your hands often. It is a simple thing to do and very effective.

Best disinfectant is bleach. Buy a few bottles if you can find it. Dilute it about 1 part bleach to 4 parts water and put it in spray bottles. Clean door knobs. Wear gloves on the bus or in a taxi. Stay at home.

Never forget that TCM does not deal with bacteria or virus.

In 2003, during SARS, we foreign teachers were scored for putting soap in school WCs and wiping door

knobs with bleach soaked rags.

Ventilation is important. Spring 2003 was warm but TCM worries about fresh air.

Do not waste your bleach by putting it on floors. Bleach will disappear from stores fairly quickly.

Try to stay at home, avoid buses and the subway.

If it gets wide spread, the government will close bars, restaurants and markets. Prepare.

In 2003, very few foreigners got SARS. In Beijing, the Goose and Duck bar stayed open and was packed day and night but no one got SARS. Good luck.

GoKunming (143 posts) • +1

Hi all,

When posting please stick to verified information from reliable news sources only and refrain from panick mongering. We understand you mean well, but unverified info is unhelpful and will get deleted.

We'll post verified Chinese news with government updates regarding the spread and severity of the virus in the news ticker on the homepage.

Keep calm, carry on and happy new year.

Liumingke1234 (3250 posts) • +3

It unfortunate that the majority of Chinese citizens don't cover their mouth when they cough and often use their hands to blow their noses. They don't use handkerchiefs either. I'm hopeful that in the future that will change.

AlPage48 (1164 posts) • 0

We checked multiple pharmacies yesterday looking for masks for our daughter. They were all sold out.

On an off chance my wife checked a cosmetic shop.

They had masks from Japan in stock.

Not sure how long that supply will last.

Thanks to Mihani and Geezer for the tips on cleaning things like door nobs and such.

I had not thought of that.

A simple but effective idea.

rejected_goods (323 posts) • +1

Hahahahhahaha, nice work comparing car accidents with a potential pandemic.

the narrative leads me to believe that fatal car accidents are contagious. cough, cough, cough......hahahahha

Geezer (1927 posts) • 0

@DanDare You are right to message to avoid the panic. SARS resulted in quite a bit of panic, a lot of advice, rumors, and fear.

Some of it was due to very little accurate information being put out. The World Health Organization, WHO, reported their opinion that the actual number of cases was far more than the official numbers. In a few weeks the central government demanded the reporting of cases be accurate and the number of cases exploded. It looked as if SARS was exploding but the truth was several hundreds of cases, unreported for weeks or months, were suddenly reported. The problem was that, over time, daily cases occurred at less than scary numbers. But when the published stats suddenly caught with reality with suddenly big jumps in daily numbers it was scary.

As the daily numbers became more accurate, the patient demographics were also published. I noticed that only about 10% of SARS cases were children under 12. To me this indicated SARS was not so highly contagious.

Most with SARS were elderly, worked in TCM hospitals or persons who visited relatives in TCM hospitals. Draw your own conclusions.

A doctor in Shanghai, a friend, who knew I had done business sourcing stuff for Chinese medical equipment companies asked to find and buy chlorine to be used as a disinfectant. I refused because the lead times were long and I figured SARS would be over before the huge quantities would be delivered in China.

Two days later she showed up at the school with a couple of guys and a car and whisked me away to a government office. In a couple of hours shopping on the internet I learned that nearly 100% of the chlorine used in the US was imported from China. And, there was a shortage in the US because China had banned the export of chlorine products. Some smart thinking bureaucrat had done the right thing but the badly needed chlorine was being held by another, less than smart, bureaucrat. Never mind, they drove me home.

Simply washing hands and avoiding crowded enclosed spaces works. Panic does not help.

Login to post Register to post