GoKunming Forums

New Coronavirus

mihani (17 posts) • +1

What extra precautions are being taken at KM airport, train and bus terminals?

Tighter screenings for inbound flights from Wuhan?

Are N95 masks still available or mostly sold out at KM pharmacies?

Keep in mind, the virus isn't only transmitted through inhalation, but by "touching an object or surface (e.g. door knobs, buttons) with the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes before washing your hands."

Be mindful of keeping hands from unconsciously touching own face. We do so hundreds of times a day without realizing.

The dirtiest places on a commercial jet isn't the toilet, but the food tray and seat belt beside you. So carrying disinfectant wipes or bottles with you may compliment the N95 mask as first defense.

Geezer (1953 posts) • +1

Most important is to simply wash your hands often. It is a simple thing to do and very effective.

Best disinfectant is bleach. Buy a few bottles if you can find it. Dilute it about 1 part bleach to 4 parts water and put it in spray bottles. Clean door knobs. Wear gloves on the bus or in a taxi. Stay at home.

Never forget that TCM does not deal with bacteria or virus.

In 2003, during SARS, we foreign teachers were scored for putting soap in school WCs and wiping door

knobs with bleach soaked rags.

Ventilation is important. Spring 2003 was warm but TCM worries about fresh air.

Do not waste your bleach by putting it on floors. Bleach will disappear from stores fairly quickly.

Try to stay at home, avoid buses and the subway.

If it gets wide spread, the government will close bars, restaurants and markets. Prepare.

In 2003, very few foreigners got SARS. In Beijing, the Goose and Duck bar stayed open and was packed day and night but no one got SARS. Good luck.

DanDare (141 posts) • 0

It is much more likely that you will get killed by a car, whilst rushing to the pharmacy to panic buy your masks.
How many people died of SARS in China? Answer, 349. How many people are killed on the roads in China every week?

GoKunming (162 posts) • +1

Hi all,

When posting please stick to verified information from reliable news sources only and refrain from panick mongering. We understand you mean well, but unverified info is unhelpful and will get deleted.

We'll post verified Chinese news with government updates regarding the spread and severity of the virus in the news ticker on the homepage.

Keep calm, carry on and happy new year.

mihani (17 posts) • 0

Dan, worldwide death from SARS reached 774. Why skew the data to fit your narrative?

Conversely, just because the Spanish flu killed more in two years than all traffic accidents combined doesn't mean drivers shouldn't be cautious behind wheels by buckling up.

Many experts argued that '03 SARS (as Geezer pointed out) would've resulted in far fewer fatalities had the government released facts earlier without worrying about potential, political fallout.

Just updated by a reputable news source, NYTimes (blocked in Mainland),

"Dr. William Schaffner, professor of preventive medicine and infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University Medical Center... reiterated that travelers should practice 'good hand hygiene,' and try to avoid anyone coughing and sneezing."

www.nytimes.com/2020/01/21/health/what-is-coronavirus.html

I agree we should refrain from mass hysteria. Rather, remain vigilant and properly informed. Social media panic has already been unleashed. N95 masks are in short supply and in high demand. This is unfortunate for many holiday travelers.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • +3

It unfortunate that the majority of Chinese citizens don't cover their mouth when they cough and often use their hands to blow their noses. They don't use handkerchiefs either. I'm hopeful that in the future that will change.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

We checked multiple pharmacies yesterday looking for masks for our daughter. They were all sold out.

On an off chance my wife checked a cosmetic shop.

They had masks from Japan in stock.

Not sure how long that supply will last.

Thanks to Mihani and Geezer for the tips on cleaning things like door nobs and such.

I had not thought of that.

A simple but effective idea.

DanDare (141 posts) • 0

@minhani. We live in China, using China only stats is not "...skew the data to fit your narrative?"
If you want to use world stats, do it for cars and sars. I don't think that would work in your favor though. Even globally you have more chance getting killed crossing the road. My message is simple. Don't get dragged along by the panic.

Related forum threads

Login to post