GoKunming Forums

Activities for kids

Lisey (14 posts) • 0

I have a 4 year old and 2 year old son and want advice on places to go and activities that I could do with them on the weekend that don't necessarily involve big day trips or going to shopping centres to the toy section! Any ideas? Also would appreciate any kid friendly restaurants and cafes. Thanks

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Haigeng park. There is a small amusement park there. Probably only a few rides safe for very young children, but just wondering about there and the rest of the park should be enjoyable for adult and kid alike. Note the main walkway has bikes on it, but no one is riding fast and no ebike allowed. Only people allowed on grassy areas so safe there to let kids loose.

Another thread with more recommendations.

www.gokunming.com/[...]

bilingualexpat (219 posts) • +2

Cherry blossom are in bloom. Visitors are allowed to pitch tents inside the grassy areas of Kunming Zoo/Yuantong shan right under the sakura trees. Kids ought to love a day of picnic. Admission is around 20rmb.

Cherry on top, I believe the international circus has been in town for a while now inside the zoo. Exotic circus bird-feeding activities for additional 10rmb. Front-row VIP circus seats 180rmb, 2nd tier seats are 120rmb, 3rd tier 100rmb, and 80rmb for the peanut gallery.

Also inside the zoo, there's a new family playground installation for children ages one through 16 years old. Parents can accompany the child in the play-zone. 68 yuan per person.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • +1

This one's a bit off-the-wall but my 4-year old son spent a happy couple of hours playing in the sand today. Where? Long jump sand pits next to the running tracks in Universities such as LiGong and CaiDa. Free and fun.

michael2015 (784 posts) • +1

Kid friendly and pretty good food (and no smoking) - the Wicker Baskets. They also sell cheese, cereal (as if your kids need more sugar), and my favorites - Chicken Pot Pies - which you can microwave or reheat in a toaster oven, in addition to a host of other foods (bacon, sliced ham, frozen pizzas, frozen french fries, etc etc etc).

redjon777 (560 posts) • +1

The 1903 area (www.gokunming.com/en/listings/item/33592/1903_park) on qianwei west road which you can turn onto from either dianchi road or guangfu road is very kid friendly. They have a large fairground type area with all the usual rides you'd expect at a fair. Nearby to it is a lake with a near enough life size pirate type ship permanently positioned on the edge of the lake. Next to the lake is also a very large sand area for kids to play, with walls to climb and slides to come down on part of that area, also on most nights (not sure 100% which nights) they have a water show on the lake with large shoots of water lit up with lighting and music.

Apart from the great kid stuff there, the whole place is very nice with some great restaurants and fancy shops if you're into a bit of expensive shopping lol.

One irk is you'll have to join up as a member to go into the fairground part but the lakeside stuff is pretty good on its own for small kids.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

There's another trampoline park, and a wall-climbing centre, in "Sincere Space" Shopping Mall on JianShe Lu.

alienew (422 posts) • +1

@Michael: Wicker Basket is fine, but note that the food is basically US middle-of-the-road and not all foreign kids are Americans. Also, I think most restaurants in Kunming are basically kid-friendly.

Related forum threads

Login to post