GoKunming Forums

Z visa very qualified...but no BA

kiara (39 posts) • 0

Visa requirements have changed many times in the past years. In order to get a Foreign Expert Certificate and be hired as an English teacher you now need: a BA, a TEFL/TESOL or CELTA, background check, 2 years experience and, if you are not a native speaker, proof of having lived in an English-speaking country for "a long time" (not sure exactly how long-I am sorry!).
This were the documents required 2 months ago, and I haven't heard of any changes since then. The system has been unified and it's now the same for every place in China. However, your employee's relationship with the PSB might also matter. I was told some countries have been 'blacklisted' and people holding a passport from those countries might have difficulties obtaining a Z visa. These are, obviously, just rumours.

fixitwithahammer (165 posts) • 0

@OP
You most certainly can teach without a BA or other degrees if you have EQUIVALENT qualification. I know plenty of preschool education professionals holding expat work certificates.

Let your buddy apply online for it, and see what they say. If your friend is a social worker, educator, education consultant, with work experience and having English teaching certificates, his or her chances are pretty good.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

haha.. good luck convincing a PSB worker of 'equivalency''. If it's not written (and interpreted as such) then it isn't so.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

'Of course, every applicant who would like to apply a foreign expert certificate must have a bachelor's degree or beyond'
from your link.
he who laughs last...

laofengzi (376 posts) • 0

haha.. good luck convincing a PSB worker of 'equivalency''. If it's not written (and interpreted as such) then it isn't so.

i was addressing that equivalencies do exsist. should i put that in caps? if you could actually read chinese and not use a translating app you would actually know SAFEA is the equivalent of two years teaching experience. derpa derpa derr

laofengzi (376 posts) • 0

i was addressing that equivalencies do exsist. should i put that in caps? if you could actually read chinese and not use a translating app you would actually know SAFEA is the equivalent of two years teaching experience. derpa derpa derr

debaser (647 posts) • 0

@laofengzi - I didn't use a translating app... that was DIRECTLY FROM YOUR LINK. They have an English version of the website (button on the top right). my point is that what's written and the rule as it's applied and implemented are often 2 very different things. I personally know people who have recently failed to get the proper papers because they couldn't show proof of a degree. Anyway, I have no desire to get into a pissing contest over something so minor, especially today. Have a good Christmas :)

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

all rules and regs are allowed local interpretation here. kunming seems be more restrictive than most anyplace i ever lived.

Related forum threads

Login to post