GoKunming Forums

Punk in Kunming?

Steve_89 (4 posts) • 0

I will be moving to Kunming later this year. Does anybody know of a punk scene or a place that holds the occasional punk gig?

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

When you get here, swing down to DT Bar and introduce yourself to Ma Tu, one of the owners. The punk scene isn't huge here, but there have been various punk bands and aficionados here for a long time, going all the way back to the 1990s.

Ma Tu has played in some punk bands here and there, and seems to know everybody. His place features a lot of young local bands of various genres.

Also, Mao Live House, a Beijing venue, recently set up a branch in Kunming. I'm not sure what they're planning for this town, but they feature a lot of punk bands in Beijing. Hopefully they'll bring some good bands down from Beijing and Shanghai

laofengzi (376 posts) • 0

man i hope mao live house can get some good bands in. would love to see pk14, hedgehog, hang on the box, new pants, and joyside.

darkone264 (108 posts) • 0

their is a spanish death metal band coming to mao live house on march 30th.

not punk but still looking forward to it

rocket (8 posts) • 0

Kunming Mao Livehouse is fake unfortunately. No affiliation. Kind of like the Salvadors in Kaiyuan. Still, I would really love to see some good bands come to town. Preferably in a bar, rather than at some shitty beer-sponsored 'festival.' (I have some issues, I know)

Mr. Frank (2 posts) • 0

@Steve

There is no punk scene in Kunming or in China generally. That said, there are some bands scattered around the country, and individuals. There are also sympathetic bars that the occasional touring punk band from overseas will play at. DT is one of those bars. You will also find some fans of punk music if you go there. Good luck.

Related forum threads

Login to post