GoKunming Forums

Brooklyn Pizza

laoshi19 (30 posts) • 0

Well they only just opened so I wouldn't be too hard on them until they start getting things in order.

Give them some slack!!! it's their first week open...
they're nice people.

I think that the dough is way too thin, nothing like the NY little Italy pizza I remember... I prefer thicker crusts and dough. Does sound expensive!

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

Prices are definitely exaggerated, but the food is delicious. It seems like they are affiliated with the Irish pub.

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

@Andrew D Where exactly is the Kundu pizza place?

@Alien, def gonna try the meatball sub! Yum!

Still, 185 for a pizza.. That's gotta be extortion!! That's £18!! I would never pay that back home. How do Chinese people (on Chinese salaries) afford to eat here?

Yeah you could split it 6 ways and pay 30 kuai each, but since when do six people all want the same toppings, especially if you have vegetarians in your group...

A friend told me you can get a large (American large size) slice for 25 kuai. This sounds more reasonable.. I'll give it a try, but this will never be a regular thing. Better give it a try soon too as I can't see it staying open for very long at these prices...

hasenmanhasenman (48 posts) • 0

Decent prices, delicious food, great quality, excellent beer selection (and draft!) AND chill-ass people/atmosphere/music..in Kunming, China! Realize where you are, who's making it and what it means to the expat community, GoK posters.

Posting/complaining about a brand new establishment because it's offering a 2ft(!) UFO of a pizza for 185 (and not realizing that's a fair price); complaining about the kind, smiling, usually attentive bartender/server/manager because she forgot your order ONCE (if it's every time..understood, but trashing the place for something happening once in their first week of opening...kinda d!@k). Or, complaining that the pizza is not like in New York...

...doesn't help anybody a damn bit.

All you're doing is making others not want to go to a unique, well-executed restaurant that is just starting..in Kunming, CHINA!

Usually, I wouldn't care what posters on GoK think. But, I'd like to see this oasis of a chill restaurant/pizzeria/neighborhood bar survive in the desert of mixian.

Props Brooklyn! Keep doing what you're doing!

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

"Or, complaining that the pizza is not like in New York..."

It never occurred to anyone that if they name their restaurant Brooklyn Pizza, it would draw comparisons to pizza in NY? Wow.

AndrewDAndrewD (72 posts) • 0

"...doesn't help anybody a damn bit."

It should be helping you quite a bit. I've been in the service industry for 20 years and I've never had complaints before.

If a customer brings up an issue like the one's mentioned, they are addressed immediately and the customer leaves happy.

Dismissing people's experiences with the restaurant out of hand instead of addressing the issues is just not a good business decision.

hasenmanhasenman (48 posts) • 0

Magnifico, the point was that people who are not in Brooklyn shouldn't complain if the really good pizza they are eating in KUNMING is not exactly the same as in NY (even though the name IS Brooklyn Pizza; the expectation of pizza transplanted from NY is a bit extreme).

AndrewD: giving constructive criticism (ie. I hope the confusion with the ordering process gets solved) is helpful. Going on an internet forum to write about negative experiences against a newly opened business with way more positives than "they forgot my order once when they first opened" is not helpful. Did this person tell the owners? Probably not. Did this person tell half of Kunming's expat population. Yes.

My point of that late-night rant (perhaps not so clear cut) was that it would be nice if GoK readers/posters offer constructive criticism and support (tell the owners..i don't think they have time to read GoK these days) rather than a orgy of 'I didn't like this..this happened to ME..2ft of pizza is how much?? but I don't realize how big 2ft is' mentality.

Support your local expat businesses trying to bring a little piece of home to this outpost in China called Kunming. Everybody will be better off for it...even you!

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Prices are a bit high, but they're in newchina yupland and seem to be getting quite a dinner crowd.
Beer prices are more or less okay - large Kirin 18 rmb - more beer taps for more draft beers on the way, presently just an expensive German draft.
Anyway, good folks.

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.