GoKunming Forums

Expat Musicians in Kunming

ainbro (11 posts) • 0

Now, I'm still 4 months out from my departure so I really have no clue. I would appreciate any responses. I am aware of the Kunming musicians Facebook, but considering restrictions on internet access, I don't know how much I should read into what I'm seeing.

I've just had these visions, as an American, of going to Kunming and playing with a bunch of Expats from places like Frankfort, Amsterdam, Bern, Torino, Budapest etc as opposed to Philadelphia and New York...

Don't get me wrong, I love the prospect of playing with Europeans and people from other counties, I should be a better musician and person for it (The talent that has gone through venues like the North Sea Jazz Festival etc... has been amazing over the years), but I was curious if anyone could confirm or deny my outsider observation?

I guess until I'm actually in KM, I can only daydream about how things will go so I a thank any one willing to indulge me ;)

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

You can also expect to mix with the local musicians. There is a growing local indie scene. But professional musicians are rare in China. The government is trying to stimulate the industry, I think they don't like the Hip Hop influence, but they are the ones who have stifled musical development for years. However, I am seeing more street performers.

But any idea of forming an east coast type music ensemble is unlikely to happen. There probably aren't that many musicians here.

Related forum threads

Login to post