GoKunming Forums

Yogurt

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Back in Ol'Beijing I would buy yogurt on the street sold in ceramic bottles. I am lactose intolerant but had no problem with the Beijing yogurt (Never had a problem with Chinese ice cream either - make you wonder). Never found it in Kunming.

This style of yogurt is also sold in the Los Angeles Chinese markets sans the bottle.

If you are set on yogurt, do what Tiger is doing. Safer and worth the effort.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

Yogurt fans should try the tibetan yogurt called ‘sho’. Maybe someone makes that in Deqin area, who knows.

Lhasa has plenty of it, during Shoton festival you slip in the streets on it, its the yogurt festival. When u get your hands on it, do your best to find honey that isnt fake and add waluts too.

Closest u can come to the greek yoghurt, which has been invented by olympian gods.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

Greek yogurt is also easy to make.

Take a normal batch of yogurt you have made and put it in very fine sieve, a large paint sieve is fine enough and large enough to hold a good quantity of yogurt (paint sieves from most DIY or local hardware shops). Then stain off 50% of the fluid (whey), which takes several hours or even overnight. The remainder is Greek yogurt.

Personally I stopped doing this. One liter of milk yields 1 liter of plain yogurt, but only a half liter of Greek yogurt. Unless you have a direct use for whey this is a bit wasteful, and there is a cost factor in milk used. The whey could be used in yeast products, but water is sufficient for my own bread making.

ricsnapricsnap (193 posts) • +1

I make it in the bread machine, using the 8h low heat program. The same yogurt can be reused to make new one, and save on the bacteria. After a few times it becomes too acidic and needs to be changed.

onebir (44 posts) • 0

The big supermarkets (Walmart, Carrefour)

also stock imported powdered milk. It was about RMB70/kg last year. You can make around 10L yoghurt from a kilo. I had a machine that came with starter culture,

but discovered that ready made yoghurt from the supermarket worked fine as a starter, if I'd finished off the last batch.

With the yoghurt makers so cheap on Taobao, there's really no need to put up with the supermarket stuff. It's probably worth looking for a machine with a stainless steel liner (不锈钢内胆) - they're really easy to keep clean if you don't scratch them.

Alexez (349 posts) • 0

Thanks for the video, just 2 things. There is some yogurt added into the milk on video. What type and where can I get it? Secondly , as said here, I can't use the Chinese milk , if I understood correctly. So what milk should I use? The powder milk also imported ? how can I be sure it's imported i on TB so many fake things? cheers

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

Frontera milk powder at metro is a good and cheap option. Just mix with freshly boiled water that has cooled down. Add your starter yogurt or yogurt culture and keep at around 37 degrees for 8 hours or longer if the temperature is lower.
Product actually improves when you keep it in your fridge for a couple of days.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • 0

Chinese green packet 24 hour milk is very good. Also go to Green supermarket at the bottom of hongshan donglu and buy fresh fresh milk in returnable glass bottles. As for milk powder I have never tried it and never will. Why anyone would buy it, imported or not is beyond me.

Related forum threads

Login to post