GoKunming Forums

Horizons Abroad

gbtexdoc (218 posts) • 0

Does anyone have information about this program? A friend has asked my advice but I know nothing except what's on their rather new and sketchy looking website. I haven't phoned them; wanted to get some background info first.

www.horizonsabroad.org/

Ouyang (243 posts) • 0

I don't have any information either, but you may want to consider they also have a sketchy www.mindsabroad.com website also. My best guess is they are nothing more than an agent that finds foreigners for schools and other programs.

A little searching shows that the minds abroad program has supposedly been established since 2006 and has "the lowest prices period", but their prices are actually on the high side.

But also keep in mind that most Kunming websites are severely lacking, and never updated...

lummerlaoshi (130 posts) • 0

There isn't enough info on the website to know for certain. I would contact them, see if and what fees they charge and where they place you for volunteer work. If it's within Kunming, I'd be a bit skeptical unless you really were placed in an orphanage. I've met a few "volunteers" who paid to be placed in government schools where the admin laughed about getting a free teacher from these volunteer programs in schools where students were paying expensive fees. My friend has done this program if you're interested:

joyinaction.org/eng/jia_01.html

Best of Luck.

godfear (25 posts) • 0

According to horizonsabroad website faq, they say

"We place international volunteers at senior centers, centers for disable children, and cerebral palsy hospitals. Your duties are to assist the residents of these welfare centers with daily tasks and also to provide some company. For example, play cards with seniors, teach disabled kids how to tie a shoe, read to cerebral palsy patients, etc."

It sounds like a daily thing, and elsewhere says 2-3 hours a day. So I would assume it's in Kunming. I couldn't find a price anywhere. Is it free?

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

^They make some vague references to paying the "full program charge" later in the process, but do not list an prices anywhere on their website. Also lots of broken links, including application forms. Looks like a scam gone idle. I'd steer clear of it.

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

And even if it's not a scam per se, does your friend really want to deal with an organization that is so unforthcoming about its prices--or the fact that it even charges money.

NingSi (61 posts) • 0

Does anyone have any more recent information about either Horizons Abroad or Minds Abroad? Preferably someone with direct knowledge or experience about this organization. I have a friend who is considering the program.

Alternatively, if someone can recommend a good summer program for college aged students (learn Mandarin as well as some immersion), that would be great too! It could be in Kunming or elsewhere in Yunnan province. Thanks!

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

check out the visa situation, if you are allowed to do volunteer work on your visa. probably not allowed on student visa

Related forum threads

Login to post