GoKunming Forums

Visa-Overstay Amnesty

duke is me (64 posts) • 0

A recent thread discussed receiving a 60-day visa extension due to the Covid-19.
Would anyone know if this might also apply to a serious visa-overstay, in the spirit of a general amnesty?

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

I think it would be prudent to discuss this with the PSB, perhaps before that overstay actually occurs.

Those of us who have been in to the PSB or local police and granted the 60 day overstay still have no idea of what will happen beyond that time, although my wife has heard rumors from her police contacts that the extension will be reviewed depending on conditions that continue to evolve.

I am already in overstay mode.

The penalty reaches the 10,000 yuan mark after only 20 days.
You are right, though, a phone call to FSB might provide an answer.

bubblyian (102 posts) • +1

You will know about the automatic two month extension, but on 19 March, Chinese Government announced: "According to Exit and Entry Administration Law of the PRC, foreigners should exit China or apply for extension at the EEA authorities before the visa, stay or residence permit expires. In light of the relevant laws and regulations and current situation, those who are unable to exit as scheduled or extend the visas, stay or residence permits due to the reason of epidemic prevention and control shall be given a lighter or mitigated or be exempted from punishment by the EEA authorities depending upon circumstances."
english.www.gov.cn/[...]

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

Yeah, I read that one and have already got my date extended to late May, but many places may not be open by then.
So far China has only announced that one two month extension (that I've seen).

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • +1

This has been a bad news day all around.

This morning I learned that Thailand has extended their lockout of foreign flights until at least the end of June.

The two month overstay I was granted two months ago is expiring this week.

The local police station (new station 'cause we moved) told me I had to go to the PSB.

Did that this morning.

I was told there is NO additional two month extension.

My only options were to leave the country, which is impossible, or apply for a new visa.

That didn't leave me with too many options.

My current visa still has 5 years on it, but had that pesky 90 stay limit.

They will only issue me a new S2 visa good for 30 days.

Of course 30 days from now there will still be no where to go, so I'll need to apply for an extension.

It sounds a bit like a make work project.

vicar (817 posts) • 0

Don't even bother because there is no one in office here brave enough to take on your application. It's closed for the next 2 months....potentially +4 more years if Trump wins in Novemember. Spent too much time and cash cash helping the dems, getting involved in foreign politcs. 'Twas mark Twain who said never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • +1

vicar
There were 3 people in the very open office this morning and they took my application.

As the OP, I can confirm that there is no amnesty for overstaying..

I have overstayed now for 6 & 1/2 months, yet the police recently issued me a new residency permit..

Go figure.

Related forum threads

Login to post