Richland International Hospital


Yunnan non-degree and scholarship

lilynguyen3617 (7 posts) • 0

Hi everybody
I have questions about non-degree in Yunnan University. Hope everyone will hope me!
I am currently a high school student and want to study in China at Yunnan University. Currently I do not know Chinese and would like to apply for one year Chinese Language program in Yunnan uni and then I want to transfer to bachelor degree and I also want to get the Yunnan government scholarship later. Is this possible?
And by the way, How much is the full year's non-degree tuition fee? And what's about food in uni canteen, is it expensive and how much should i pay for a month?

alienew (423 posts) • +1

In the canteens you can eat cheap. The food is okay, sometimes pretty good with a lot of selection. You can get by for about Y40 a day for food in canteens if you want to.

lilynguyen3617 (7 posts) • 0

Thanks for giving me more informations alienew!

Can you tell me the quality of teaching at Yunnan University?
Do many foreign students come there?
Are dormitories affordable and how much do I pay for a year?
How's about facilities in Yunnan University?

alienew (423 posts) • +1

Well, I think the canteen facilities are better than most university canteens, though others aren't necessarily bad.

michael2015 (655 posts) • +2

1. Depending on where you're located, there are Confucius Institutes where Chinese Language is usually free. Also - depending on your age - you can get scholarships to study in China through the Confucius Institute and other organizations. You can "try" to contact the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in your home country for information or just search for them online.

2. Yunnan University's website: - there's an english button somewhere on the site. Contact the university's Foreign Affairs Office for the questions you have regarding classes, student visas, and tuition. Please remember - you can NOT work part time as a student in Yunnan, but you can provide non-professional english language lessons on an ad hoc basis. Rules regarding physical security and common sense apply.

Most probably you will be exiled to the campus outside the main city, Chenggong, which isn't too bad AND you can take the university bus into town - just remember to catch the last bus or subway home or you're stuck in the city (or LONG cab or Uber drive back to campus). University food is university food - edible, predictable, and after 30 days - boring - but if you're not a foodie, it's fine. The campuses generally also have Islamic cuisine for those who need/desire Halal (spelling?), which is a welcome change from the usually heavily overspiced EVERYTHING.

Kunming is generally safe, but if you're young and female, exercise common sense or you may be molested. China's heavily congested - lots of nutty people around if you stay long enough or put yourself into compromising situations.

You will find MANY foreign nationals studying in Kunming - regardless of university - with increasing students from the Belt & Road Initiative (BRI).

Best regards, stay safe, and enjoy the wealth and diversity of culture and history this province and the surrounding provinces and countries provide.

Thanks to the US Trade dispute - the CNY has devalued to roughly USD 1 ~ CNY 7 as of yesterday. So your USD, EUR, AUD, JPY, will stretch ≥10% further than last year.

Also - once you get settled WITH a bank account - sign up for WeChat, add your bank account to WeChat Pay, then you can fumble your way through online food deliveries - to include US fast food, such as KFC, MacDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut etc. Beware Kunming burger joints - their fare is frequently spicier than most normal humans can tolerate.

alienew (423 posts) • +2

Have you considered other opportunities to study Chinese in Kunming? There are several.
Incidentally, I don't know where you're coming from but the fact that you use the term 'high school' makes me think it may be the US - anyway, I'm not female, but I don't consider Kunming to have lots of nutty people that might cause trouble to worry about, in comparison to plenty of other places that I've been to.

lilynguyen3617 (7 posts) • 0

I am a student from Vietnam. Next year I intend to study in China by scholarship. I have taken time to get informations in many types of scholarships but most are required HSK4. My GPA is above 3. I am looking for a type of Chinese government scholarship without HSK4. To be brief and to the point, i am willing

to study one-year Chinese language program and as well chinese rich culture,humans and life in China. I think the Belt and Road scholarship is probably right for me and it can be in my fingertips, but I find it difficult to find the good information and to apply for this scholarship.

michael2015 (655 posts) • +1

There are private language academies that can sponsor your student visa - many advertise right here on gokm. You can also read reviews on the schools in the REVIEWS sections of gokm - that should be able to help you achieve the HSK4 or above.

However, you can also study for virtually free at any local Confucius Institute.

Here's the English weblink for the CI in Hanoi:

kewen (8 posts) • +1

lilynguyen3617 @michael2015 Yunnan University is actually one of the few universities where as a language student you are not sent out to Chenggong but can still study at the central campus next to Green Lake. There's a thread with plenty of information on the programme over at (make sure you read to the end of the thread for the most current information, there's also threads for the other Kunming universities although I don't know how up-to-date they are).

Actually there's LOTS of Vietnamese students with a Chinese government scholarship in the dorm with me, if you tell me your WeChat ID I can get you added to the Vietnamese student chat group if you like.

Login to post Register to post