GoKunming Forums

How to get a student visa

bubblyian (102 posts) • +1

I couldn't see any up-to-date advice so I thought I would post my current experience, which is (hopefully) nearly complete and may help others thinking of applying in the future. I am aged 59, so maybe easier for younger applicants. 1) Find a language school willing to offer a place to 59-year old. 2) Do a health check at specified local hospitals only 3) Pay the language school the 'application' fees (500rmb) plus one year tuition fees. 4) wait 2-3 weeks for them to provide you with form JW202, plus letter of invitation and confirmation of place on the course with dates - check all dates match! 5) Leave China 6) Apply to Chinese Embassy with all above papers, plus the completed visa application form stating single entry permit required and ask for X1 visa plus fee and wait 1-2 weeks. 7) Return to China with X1 stamp in passport within the validity of the single entry. 8) Within 30 days, go to local police station with copy of your tenancy agreement or other proof of address where you are staying (must be local police station to your address) and ask for residence permit. May be instant or return after 24 hours. 9) Go back to language school who will now make an appointment and immigration on Tulong Lu (few days ahead). School should give you a stack of papers/application forms, plus complete one in BLACK ink. You also need special bar coded photographs only available at Tuolong Lu immigration office ground floor. 10) Go to appointment and meet representative of your language school and hand over passport, if all papers look correct. They will give you a date 20 days later when your passport should be ready for collection by language school, not by you. That is what I am waiting for now, so I hope that is the end of the matter! I will update after 14 June if I get my passport back!

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

if there was any risk your application would be rejected they would not have taken your passport. only exception may be if you turn up on interpol search

baiyuxiang (106 posts) • 0

r/9 Note that the bar-coded photos are available elsewhere throughout the city, although in my experience the Tuodong lu office is cheapest.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

There is no direct references to age mentioned in a booklet entitled 'The Compilation of Laws and Regulations on Administration and Services of Foreign Experts' issued by the Department of Cultural and Educational Experts, State Administration of Foreign Expert Affairs. December 7, 2015. Article 7 (11) 'To apply for the X1 visa, the applicant shall, in accordance with relevant provisions, submit the admission notice issued by the admission institution and the certification documents provided by the competent authority: to apply for the X2 visa.......'ditto. X1 = long-term study, X2 = short-term study.

I do not know for sure if this has been superseded or if there are other provisions published elsewhere.

tigertiger - moderator (5096 posts) • 0

For student visa age limit issues, I would contact a university. I would aim for one of the big Chinese learning programmes in Shanghai or Beijing, as by sheer weight of student numbers they will have come across this before. Someone who does not know will just fob you off and waste your time and this needs to be avoided. Pitch your inquiry as someone who wants to study there.

Exceptions. If you are already here on a work visa or family visa (with residence permit) you can study here without a student visa.

bubblyian (102 posts) • 0

In my experience, it depends on the language school. Being 59, 2-3 turned me down, before I found one that would accept me, subject to medical.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

that sounds like medical insurance issue, or they think that over 60 you won't get visa.

Related forum threads

Login to post