GoKunming Forums

Is the Law is being applied fairly in China now?

Stephen58 (43 posts) • 0

Is the onset of such developments as President Xi's anti corruption push, the 12345 Mayor's Hotline and evidence recorded on mobile cameras resulting in a better deal for the man in the street in China and applying the law equally and more fairly to everyone?

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

Noticed this week that a fair few drivers are being pulled over by the police. This is one thing that I don't usually see in China as much as one would expect which is why I've taken notice of the people been pulled this past week or two.

Maybe a new push there? Who knows....

Wouldn't know about equally and fairly to everyone though. It's a big question!

mickeyh (119 posts) • 0

I think it depends on what you mean by "fair". In the West, the idea is the the law should apply equally and blindly to everyone, regardless of result, consequences, or effect. In the West, even if the law ends up hurting innocent people, judges and police are bound to enforce it anyway. It is a "man serves the law" sort of view.

In China, it is the opposite: "the law serves man". What will benefit the local community, and actually help more people, is more important than the written code. So, to me, it is just a cultural difference.

That being said, I believe that President Xi's campaign is making a huge difference against corruption all over the country, no doubt.

Stephen58 (43 posts) • 0

It just seems a lot more high flyers are getting busted and locked up compared to what used to happen a decade ago.
The Hotel I worked at used to have a lot more SOE officials type feasts as well but now they just don't happen as the officials are afraid of being photographed living off the fat when questions are being asked re who is paying.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

The law in China is a law for hire. You pay, or have guanxi and you win.

The new big man's campaign is a campaign to erase opposition, how many of his bunch have they locked up yet? None or zero?

Don't be naive, corruption is what runs this place, suddenly by enforcing it for a few month, China is healed....BS....It's more hidden and subtle. Checked the Pa-na- papers?

Why would the rich and powerful hurt themselves?

The little man still doesn't stand a chance in court against a higher bloke. Never!

All reactionary BS. Sorry....not trying to be negative...

Stephen58 (43 posts) • 0

Fair enough Dudesons - just that I saw the article 200 Kunming officials punished for corruption
This article was posted by Patrick Scally in News and published February 19, 2016
Not the kind of thing you would have seen 10 years ago

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

Oh if they pi**ed someone off ten years ago, it would have happened, too.

The X-dude, is trying to Putin himself. And to do that, he has to switch of powerful members. So there more the merrier. The more oppositional, the better.

There is not person in even the provincial level, dude, -even town level than hasn't greased his or her way up. So they are all bigots, and pretending they are all clean and clear, sad.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

In my opinion, the biggest obstacle to fully implement solid rule of law in China are those vague terms "national security" and "social stability". Those leave much to human interpretation, which keeps rule of law still more or less rule of man, in many areas.

mickeyh (119 posts) • 0

Remember that "rule of law" is a Western idea, but not the only possible good way to do things.

Related forum threads

Login to post