GoKunming Forums

entrance fees in yunnan

christian4870 (68 posts) • 0

Hi, i read that the entrance fee´s for sights in yuannan are rather high and there should be a reduction for older travellers? Is this true? I will be 60 years old a few weeks before arriving in kunming...
Thanks for info..

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I believe discounts do not apply to foreigners. If anything they raise the prices way high recently. It is ridicules.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I think I read somewhere that many locals (to sites) and tour guides have been asking government to stop putting up the entrance prices. As they think that tourism and allied industries are suffering. As an example, I know people who will not go to ShiLin. My wife and I also walked away from the gate, not going in, as we thought the entrance fee was too high.

christian4870 (68 posts) • 0

Hi,
thank you very much for your replies and information, we shall have passports as proof of age with us. I read that reductions are mostly only written/signed in chinese... so we shall have a written sheet, where our age and ask for discount is indicated in chinese...
@lemon lover: thank you very much for the link of fees. This is also an interesting site for information...

bucko (695 posts) • 0

You are wasting your time with passports, letters, etc to get a discount. You need a Chinese Senior discount card that must be used. nothing else will work. I have such a Chinese card and probably the only senior in Yunnan to have this. But now I do not pay anything to enter any park, bus is free, train is 20% discount, even medical fees are discounted(I think). Anyhow this just gives me the same rights that a Chinese citizen receives as a senior citizen.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

I recently took my parents around Yunnan and Guizhou, and was able to get them in for free to many places (they're both over 70) with just their passports. I think the official discount card is only necessary for things like free bus fare and other special discounts.

As for the Chinese signage, basically, any time you see a sign with multiple different entrance fees, there should be a senior discount.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

@bucko Got my云南省老年人优待证 (老年人卡) in 2010. And you are correct in that the老年人卡 works almost all the time. Some venues charge a reduced fee but all are free when you hit 70。A passport sometimes works and sometimes not.

It is not easy to get a 老年人卡 and without help hard to get around to the right places. The ride the bus free card is easy once you get the老年人卡. You need to be over 60 and have the right visa.

When I got my card in 2010, I was told I was the only white guy in Kunming to be issued a老年人卡。Glad to know someone else got one too.

Related forum threads

Login to post