GoKunming Forums

looking for proper steak

fixitwithahammer (165 posts) • 0

I am looking for good well, hung ripe -steak.
i went to metro, looking for steak and they only had over priced, deep frozen steak. Some of the packages were thawed and frozen again. So, I am looking for local filet, tenderloin steaks. Talking to the local butchers, I learned they only sell fresh meat, which explains the crappy meat texture in Chinese beef, or excessive use of tenderizer-vs. hung ripe meat, (ca 7 days for steak.)

So, if anyone here knows where to buy good meat for steaks. Preferably,without e.coli and lorryloads of antibiotics, please share the info. I would appreciate it.

fixitwithahammer (165 posts) • 0

I checked their items pdf, but other than some Italian specialties, they seem to offer pretty much the metro stuff. They only have a Qingdao T-bone, like the big supermarkets. Also they don't have prices posted. That's usually a sign for inflated importer prices.

but thanks for the link...may come in handy some time.

Darryl (32 posts) • 0

I know a place where you can get what you're looking for. Unfortunately, it's probably the only place. Here are the directions:

Get to the East 2nd Ringroad and take HongQiao Lu East for about 30km until you get to the airport. Go up to the Air China or China Eastern ticket counter on the 3rd floor and buy a ticket to a place called "The United States of America" (美国). After about 20 17 hours of flying and a transfer in Shanghai or Beijing, you'll be there and can get yourself a decent steak.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I have had Kobe beef in Kunming, but I was taken there, and the guy who took us is now out of circulation. But maybe if you ask around.

The hotel I worked in used to just age whole fillets on the shelf of the fridge in a well aired spot.
If you want fillet (aka tenderloin), you can buy the whole fillet from the meat guy in the market, and then just keep it in the fridge for 7 days. Or I think I have seen whole imported tenderloin in cryopac before. That is normally about 2-2.5 kg weight. See if anyone wants to split one. Try metro in the meat department (side room) they may have imported Australian.

You will need to trim the tenderloin before turning it into fillet steaks, instructions here www.forloveofthetable.com/[...] The trimmings are great for stroganoff.

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

there is an Australian steak restaurant in Wanda shopping mall, you could try there. The Park and Great Australian Bite also serve steaks.

Related forum threads

Login to post