GoKunming Forums

Long range e-bike?

Alexez (349 posts) • 0

I want to buy an e-bike which I can drive to remote areas around KM. Anybody can recommend anything for long distance drive?
What kind of battery I should ask for and how many km ( not mountains of course ) approx I can get out of it ( 2people,my gf is light and Im 75kg ish ) ? What is the current situation with registration and insurance ( price ) and is there any other licence required for those bigger el.scooters?

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

Go to the scooter sales area on Beijing road near the JinXing Passover or Xichang road to find out the latest info. I have noticed that there are a lot more new scooters for sale now so I wonder if a new Licence system has been introduced. I have also seen several police road controls for scooters.

Go to the shops and find out the latest info.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

I don't think the range of any ebike will be good enough for remote areas with two riders, especially as there are hills outside the city.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

ebike would not get you from kmg to fuxian lake and back. there are some big mountains in between. you are gonna need a gasoline bike but you cant uise these inside the inner ring road. lpg bikes might be allowed inside the inner ring, but no sure how easy it is to find lpg once you are out of the city

bb4l78@gmail.com (35 posts) • 0

@Alexez

You can buy e-scooter with a range of about 75-90 km on one charge now, with speed about 50-60km/h . Reliable brands are TaiLing (台令) or YaDi (雅迪), they also have a good after sales service in Kunming. (i got small repairs for free, even after 3-4 years)

Problem with long-distance is, all brands i know so far sport lead-acid batteries. Those add a lot weight and are far away from controlled Li-Po batteries, but much cheaper. If you really want a long-distance e-scooter, you will have to buy imported scooter. But they will most likely cost more than a nice brand motorbike.

Afaik no license required and i did not heard of insurance for e-scooter yet.
Two people are not allowed on e-scooters (except a kid), despite most of them are two-seaters. But if police stops you and you're with a load of two, they will fine you.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

This full range, as quoted, is driving on the flat, without a heavy load (only a skinny pilot), not at full speed, when the batteries are new and fully charged.
Range drops significantly if you go at higher speeds, and fall astronomically if you are two up or doing hills (even if you can coast down the other side).
Two up, heading out of Kunming (hills in most directions) and travelling at moderate to high speed, I wonder what the range would be.

Alexez (349 posts) • 0

bb4, thanks! Thats kind of answer I was looking for. Im not planning to go to FuXian lake but 60km on flat rd. will do.
'Two people are not allowed on e-scooters' ? most of them are designed as 2 passenger as u said. ( Of course locals make it 4-5 people if they need. ) But have you seen this in written form? If u have any link to that matter, would be appreciated. Thanks again.

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

The "ultimate system" would be a network of dealers in which you drop off your batteries and pick up fully charged ones. Just like LPG / propane tanks.
This network would also be the solution for e cars.

This identical network system needed to be implimented for gasoline cars in the early 1900's although for batteries it's a little more complicated...

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

There is a relatively flat road down to Haikou, and another to Chengong. That is about it though.
I read somewhere that the two people not allowed on an ebike is because the rider does not have a license, and therefore cannot be qualified/responsible to carry a passenger.
Originally, ebikes were single seaters, with a small battery, that had a speed of about 20 kph. You still see many of these.

The scooter type ebikes started getting popular about 7 years ago, and were for a long time technically illegal, they may still be. There were two attempts to regulate the bigger/faster machines. Both systems of laws proved unenforceable, because many machines had already been sold and were on the roads.
Having almost been wiped out by a 7-8 year old (estimate) standing on the footwell of a scooter, riding at full speed down a sidewalk; I would like to see the larger ebikes licensed, insured and rider having a compulsory test.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

"60km on flat rd. will do."

You'll still be doing a lot of honking, breaking and re-accelerating on the road, even small ones. This will eat up your battery. If riding at night, you'll use the light.

The range estimations are for light skinny people ie. your average southern Chinese, riding the scooter alone.

Related forum threads

Login to post