GoKunming Forums

gmail email

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Anybody know if emails to gmail addresses are being blocked? I've sent some international emails of this type lately & haven't got responses.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

if an email in undeliverable for any reason, your email provider should notify you.

i get an "email sent" message and i have a Sent folder. that means the other person received it.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

I dunno, how do you do that? When I send an email (from yahoo or hotmail) to a gmail address, yahoo/hotmail tells me it's been delivered - I don't know if it would still do that if it were blocked by some giant external firewall or something.
I have a Sent folder too - can I trust it?

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

if the email is unsendable, does that flag the same as undeliverable, if it is our end that is being blocked?

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

It is probably something else. If you write an email on the yahoo or hotmail site, and click send, you are handing the message over to the yahoo or hotmail servers. Once they have it, there's basically nothing China can do to block it. It's already on the other side of the Pacific, so to speak.

If Yahoo is telling you it's sent, then that means they have already sent it towards gmail. It doesn't mean it made it to the other side.

That's why people used to use "read receipts" back in the day, but one day a Google engineer decided they were annoying, and coded gmail to ignore read receipt requests.

Anyway, @Alien, send me an email and see what happens.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

If you use Mozilla's Thunderbird email client - you can activate "read receipts" - but that also depends on the recipient's email settings (they can turn OFF auto transmission of read receipts).

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@Xiefei: I will, look for it. But my problem pops up (if, indeed, it's not a problem) in relation to emails outside of China - specifically, to Laos - the person I'm sending it to is in Laos, although his gmail is, well, gmail.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

I've had a few issues lately with sending to Gmail accounts. my email is marked as sent immediately but the recipients are getting their emails in batches hours and sometimes days later. Several people with Gmail appear to be having this problem.

Related forum threads

Login to post