GoKunming Forums

ABC coming to Kunming, looking to improve Chinese

jhding (1 post) • 0

I am taking a gap year to travel Asia and plan to be in China for 3 months in the summer, 2 of which will be spent in Kunming.

What activities or programs should I involve myself in during this time to best increase my fluency and practice Chinese with locals? I am open to volunteering as well.

Just some background: I am 22/M, have a bachelors in Economics and Accounting, and have worked over a year. I was actually born in Kunming (so technically not a ABC) and moved to the states when I was one. I speak Chinese to my parents, but at a level below fluency. I can't read or write.

Any other tips for me?

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

I had trouble understanding why an American TV network was coming to Kunming, then I read all the way to the bottom.
You're right, your not ABC. Just turn is around and you'll get CBA.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Chances are that your relatives won't be speaking Mandarin but Kunming hua which is useless outside of Kunming. However, I do agree that you must at all cost avoid foreigners all together since your time is short over here.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

@jhding
Do the language exchange thing via a variety of venues, mountain biking, hiking (if you're outdoor oriented), etc or museums, concerts, and other cultural events if you're more cosmopolitan...or mix em up. There are probably a LOT of people your age who'd love to do FREE language exchange with you based on these events (some of which cost money).

Me - I'd advocate Moondog's weekly Sunday BBQ & Foosball Tournament as a launchpad...assuming foosball is your thing...

If you want to meet seriously hot women (or men - if that's your thing) - take a few dance lessons at Dangsters or a few Yoga classes to meet physically attractive people.

You may also want to chat up NGOs (non governmental organizations) to fill in your time in a potentially immersive environment as a volunteer - but probably no putonghua spoken there.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@jhding: If your main goal is improving your Chinese, I suggest you 1. take classes and 2. hang around your neighborhood, friends and any family you might have - hell, there's no problem finding Chinese speakers in Kunming. Learning Chinese over foosball at Moondog strikes me as weird; I'm not too sure about museums & concerts for learning to speak Chinese. Drinking in bars where virtually all customers are Chinese might be a good idea.

Related forum threads

Login to post