GoKunming Forums

re-registering with the PSB

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

It seems different PSBs implement their own foreigner managment system. While being in Kunming we have never told the PSB when we are leaving or coming back. A few years ago they would visit or call once a year to see who was still living in our place, or if someone who had registered in our place had left the police would call after their visa had expired to see if they were still living there.

When I lived in the north of China the local PSB was very active and I had to let them know if I had stayed overnight in any other city, also when I registered in that city the first time I had to prove with a plane ticket or a hotel bill that I had not been in the city for more than a day without registering,,very tough.

It may be that some PSBs in Kunming are getting tougher but it's easy to find out,,just ask them! if they want you to register each time you are back in town then just do it, most likely they will ask you only to renew your registration when you get a new passport or visa.

Nansen (20 posts) • 0

I'm sure you have to reregister after coming back from HK, and I always have done. After all, you're leaving the mainland.

However, telling them before you go? Nowhere I am aware of specifies that rule. I did get a knock at my door two months ago from two policeman who ask me to sign a form to prove I lived in my flat. Very strange, as I hadn't been abroad at that time. They also asked me my future plans, I said I was going back to England in a couple of weeks, and they took down some notes. I'm now back in KM, and have registered. No issues.

Nansen (20 posts) • 0

PS- hurry the f*ck up! I hear they can fine you lots of money for not registering! I waited 4 days once, and it wasn't an issue, although I was bricking it at the time.

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

Just luck of the draw from my experience. My room mate didn't register for about six months. When he finally did register, nobody said anything and just processed the paperwork.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

update: went to the local station today (it was the same one as mentioned earlier) and they said that there was no need to register unless i had a new visa. they printed out my current registration and politely told me to go away.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Have left and returned to Kunming numerous times yearly for over 10 years. If I actually leave China I re-register when I come back to Kunming; if I go somewhere else in China (other than Hong Kong) I don't bother. Cop has visited me once only at my flat, just to see that I really lived there - no hassle. Have never reported leaving town before going.
But yeah, I also think that different local PSB stations perhaps have different attitudes. Anyway, it's all pretty easy to comply with, whatever they want you to do.

hanshan (32 posts) • 0

I am out from China and before will return to Kunming, still need spend few days in Canton. So I need go sleep to some real hotel to registred me in first 24 hours in China if I am right? Normaly I use cheaper hotels which are in Guangdong not welcome for foreigners...

I am sure from my local police worker i need make new re-registration in Kunming because I leave China.
This things make me so strange, I always have fear to make something wrong......

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

as long as you has your boarding pass to show the kmg police you has just flown in they won't care about where you was before.

Related forum threads

Login to post