GoKunming Forums

re-registering with the PSB

debaser (647 posts) • 0

I've just got back from hong kong and have been told that i need to register at my local police station. i was also told that i should have informed them about the trip BEFORE i left. i think i remember reading about something like this in the forums quite recently but i can't find it now.
does anyone know how to find my local police station? I'm living near the irish pub, the wicker basket and the prague in the north.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

You do need to re-register on your return from HK.
However, I have never told them before I was going, and never had a problem.

Let us know how you get on.

I did see the post you are talking about. Maybe this was a local (to that cop shop) issue, but I have been in and out of Kunming several times and my local police have never said anything about the requirement to tell them before going. I have lived in China for 10 years, and been in and out many times, and never heard of this before the other thread popped up.
A poster on the other thread suggested that you might get your visa cancelled. My understanding is that the Residence Permit is multi-entry, and as such is designed for multi-entry, and therefore multi-exit. Additionally, every time you fly, in-out/within China the journey goes on your computer file, which is accessed by PSB at the airport when you fly.
I think that it is only more recently that the local PSB have had access to this data.

xb6asd (170 posts) • 0

oh my i have not registered in a year. i always register before i apply for visa.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

First time I heard about reporting when leaving. Does that also include trips and stays around Yunnan?

Police station. There's one In the area west of Beijing Lu. I only remember how to access it from Jiandong Huayuan North Street: Head west on Jiandong Huayuan North X Beijing Lu intersection, and turn left at the first small street. Then head south. If it's the correct street, you should come across 3 or 4 streets on your right that lead to a migrant community. Continue south, and when you are about to reach the end of that street, you'll see the police station on your right.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

i hope the local station are flexible with that '24 hours'! i'll let you all know how it goes. on the bright side, a colleague re-registered yesterday. he was about 6 months late but there was no problem.

@Yankee - they said that it's only for international (including hong kong and taiwan). and i think that's the same place...just found it on baidu.

@HFCAMPO - thanks for the links and info.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

yes, 24 hours, but they usually are flexible, but I wouldn`t push it for more than 3 days or so. Never heard of telling them you`re going to leave before you go.

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

At the psb on Wenhua i was told to tell them before leaving. A friend who was registered at my place left China for Vietnam. The police actually came to my place and asked who was living here asked where he was and why he hadn't informed them before leaving. They said he must reregister immediately on return. This was about two months ago.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

@mPRin
This sounds exceptional. More likely to be that the guy who does this at Wenhua is not fully aufait with the regs. or putting his own spin on them.
In the case of your friend. There has been a lot of checking on visas in past few months, especially student visas. It might be down to them doing a random address check and not being able to put a tick in the box, leading to an ad-libed, "well he should have told us".

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

Are different visas, or visa holders, attracting varying degrees of scrutiny? I've sort and received assurance that I'm not required to report my return to Kunming (China) as this is already recorded by immigration. I will be required to report any changes to my passport, visa and any changes affecting entitlement to my visa. The latter would in any case be reported by my employer i.a.w current law.

Related forum threads

Login to post