User profile: JanJal

User info
  • Registered
  • VerifiedYes

Forum posts

Forums > Travel Yunnan > Summer camp for primary school

With the developments in extra-curricular education in China in recent years, such schools and/or camps will be limited to subjects like art or sports, or simply daycare for younger children.

In other fields (including Mandarin language) the offering will be extremely restricted, considering they must be strictly non-profit and as such probably focused to serve families in need. They would gladly take the money from wealthier families, but are not allowed to.

But if immersion to Mandarin language is the primary objective, the subject may not matter to you that much. Given the above, there are probably more options to choose from arts and sports, than there were before.

Also considering that less children will spend their holidays at training centers now, there are generally more kids at playgrounds etc. My son can usually spend half a day downstairs at the playgrounds of this gated block, mingling with neighbors and getting all the Mandarin he needs, but this works only because he is ultra social. Lucky me.

This said, now that travel to China is opening up again, I do suspect that near-future trend in extra-curricular education in China (in particular with Mandarin language) will increasingly serve foreign families - or for example Cantonese speakers.

Summer schools educating foreign children and families about the language and culture, even throwing some math or whatever in it, could be both profitable and serve additional interests of the powers-that-be here.

Forums > Living in Kunming > Trail Running & Hiking

I faintly recall posts about a local branch of some leisure/beer type hiking group, but that was maybe 3+ years ago. I suppose if it was mainly foreigner-run, many have left since then.

Couldn't find the posts quickly, and forgot the name of the gathering.

Forums > Living in Kunming > Living with CoVid-19

Globally there is some pressure to implement the 48-hour negative test requirement for arrivals from China, but airlines, travel agents and transfer hubs may play it safe and require it already even if destination country has not yet made it official.

They probably want to avoid the trouble and responsibility if such requirement comes up when a person is already transferring in Bangkok, for example. A person may be prevented from boarding the connecting flight to Europe for example, and then who pays...

Forums > Living in Kunming > Living with CoVid-19

Between the lines of these new policies, my take is that the concern for foreign arrivals is now not in bringing fresh infections to spread, but rather not needlessly burdening local health care system with sick foreigners. Perhaps not so much a problem in first tier cities, more so along Yunnan borders for example.


No results found.


If I interpret Mike correctly, he is referring to general attitude of average Chinese person toward other human beings, nature, and generally everything other than himself and his immediate family.

For long time China was poor country, and it still reflects in many parts of the society. One is, that average Chinese will always put his own survival and benefit first.


No reviews yet