GoKunming Forums

Seated and sitting

xiashengli (46 posts) • 0

_____comfortably in her chair, the lady enjoyed music with her eyes closed.
A. Seated B. sat C. SeatingD. Sitting
Why A?

culture (51 posts) • 0

ok, it is seated because this is a phrase that is passive, so the lady is by force sitting there, and it is past tense since she enjoyed music not enjoying, therefore the only passive past tense answer would be A, seated.

faraday (213 posts) • 0

Assuming Culture is correct, I think it's an unreasonably difficult question (and answer). D works just as well, if not better!

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

why don't you just attach the entire TOEFL exam? faraday will have it done for you by midnight tonight.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

I would say B is also possible. Agree - an example of the silly Chinese state school exam questions that believe language is simply a set of rules, a code to be broken, rather than a flexible, useable thing. It's about time the Exam setters employed a native speaker to run through their questions/answers!

xiashengli (46 posts) • 0

Why seat is a passive phrase ?the lady was not in a theater she didn't need someone to show her a seat to sit on. So if we need to use past tense answer B is also right, if we want to express sth which is happening, Answer D is ok. I just feel confused.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

The only answer is A because of the phrasing of the rest of the question... "... enjoyed...". If it was D then it would have to say "... the lady was enjoying music...".

Hope some of you guys aren't English teachers! :-p

Related forum threads

Login to post