GoKunming Forums

New visa/immigration regulations July 1, 2013

Geezer (1947 posts) • 0

Got a notice from PWC that outlines China's new immigration and visa regulations which becomes effective July 1, 2013.

Here is the first two paragraphs:

"The National People's Congress Standing Committee enacted a new law – the "Exit-Entry Administration Law" ("the New Law") on 30 June 2012, scheduled to be implemented on 1 July 2013. The New Law emphasizes on stricter enforcement over foreign visitors / workers and imposes harsher penalties for non-compliance. It also introduces a new visa category to attract foreign talents and provides an opportunity to apply for

China's permanent residence status.

While detailed implementation rules have not yet been officially announced, the Chinese authority has issued proposed regulations to seek businesses and interest parties' feedback by 3 June 2013."

I could post the entire China portion of the notice, but, it isn't final yet (today is June 13th, 2013). TIC

debaser (635 posts) • 0

I heard today that those applying for a Z-visa as a teacher will need at least 2 years of teaching experience and a TEFL/teaching certificate in addition to the bachelors degree and medical check (from the home nation) that's already required. ...but again there's a difference between a law and enforcement. TIC indeed!

Geezer (1947 posts) • 0

New visa information:

Changes of the visa categories

M visas will cover business and trade activities.

F visas, which are currently used for business purposes, will be reserved for non-commercial activities including scientific, cultural, athletic and educational purposes.

R visas will be available for professional workers and senior-level managers whose positions are in short supply. This is a new visa category with two subcategories: R1 category will allow long-term residence and R2 category will permit short-term stay.
Z work visas will be divided into two subcategories: Z1 category for foreigner who will work in China for more than 90 days and need to be converted to a residence permit within 30 days of the visa holder's arrival; and Z2 category for those who intend to work in China for up to 90 days.

yong fang (20 posts) • 0

The Z visa will also require teachers in China to return home for a Criminal Background Certificate. I have read this from several different sources.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

@yong fang
please quote your sources, otherwise it is just more hearsay.

NB, you do not need to return home for a certificate of non-criminal background from UK, it can be done by post. I am certain many other countries police forces will do this.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (716 posts) • 0

For the PR visa they ask that you get a Criminal Record from your home country. Seeing as many people who apply for a PR have been living in China for over ten years it surprises me that they don't ask for a criminal record from China.

But on the other hand its kind of nice that they trust you have been a nice guy while living in China.

tigertiger - moderator (5089 posts) • 0

The PR visa is not what most of us will be applying for. I am not sure if the PR allows us to work either, I think we still need to go through the whole work visa thing too. I am not sure about how the cross over works.

Geezer (1947 posts) • 0

For Americans a "Criminal Background Certificate" is difficult to obtain. Aside from "Criminal Background Certificate" being chinglish, in the US, only criminals would have such a record.

This requirement has popped up from time to time. Americans who try to obtain non-existent criminal records have been frustrated as the US only records crimes but does not maintain dossiers on people who have not been caught. Unless of course Nobama and the NSA have changed this.

Geezer (1947 posts) • 0

Please note: what I posted does not refer to "PR" which I assume to mean "Permanent Resident" . I doubt if there are many persons with "PR" status in Kunming.

Prior to this change, teachers and students were issued "Resident Permits", "RP", which were placed in our passports. This allows us to live in China and provides for multiple re-entries for the life of the RP.

There is a huge HUGE difference between living in China with a "RP" and being a "PR".

@yong fang

Most Chinese have no idea of the requirements for foreigners to work, study or live in China are. For us foreigners, it is difficult to know WTF is going in the visa regulations. Complicating what Beijing dictates is that the final regulations are on a provincial/municipal level. Can you give us specific sources for what you read? Can you provide a URL for any new regulation?

My info is from: www.pwcias.com/home/eng/imm_newsletter_jun2013.html

Today is June 18th. Best I can tell no regulation has been published for the changes effective July 1st, 2013. "what we have here is a failure to communicate." It is TIC and "ticktock" time.

Login to post