GoKunming Forums

New visa/immigration regulations July 1, 2013

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Does this mean the multiple-entry F visa I presently have, which requires me to leave the country every couple of months but should be good for quite awhile yet, is going to go up in smoke on July 1? What happens the next time I leave the country and then try to come back on this visa?

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

I think saying you need to go home may be the result of bad reporting by journo, or misunderstanding other poster, or embellishment.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

For Americans, I wrote: "may require returning to the US".

Here is why:

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE travel.state.gov/travel/tips/emergencies/emergencies_1201.html

"Go to your local police department where you reside or last resided in the United States, request that the police conduct a local or state criminal records search and provide you with a document reflecting that there is no history of a criminal record. Local police departments may require your personal appearance in order to conduct the search."

The FBI www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/criminal-history-summary-checks

"The U.S. Department of Justice Order 556-73 establishes rules and regulations for the subject of a Criminal History Summary to obtain a copy of his or her own record for review. The FBI's Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division processes these requests.

Who May Request a Copy of a Criminal History Summary (or Proof That a Criminal History Summary Does Not Exist)

Only you can request a copy of your own Criminal History Summary."

I guess you can try having your high school bud, your Mom, or ex-wife try to get what ever you need from the police. Once whoever gets the certificate, it needs to be translated by an "official translation company." And finally, the certificate of no criminal conviction must be authenticated by a Chinese Consulate. Note; not an Embassy but a Consulate. Usually there is a consulate office within each embassy but there may be several consulates in a country.

So, while someone may lack imagination, the awful reality comes when your high school bud, your Mom, or ex-wife, steps up to the counter at your local police station and finds he/she will not be allowed to get your information.

Interestingly, here

lawandborder.com/?p=2565#more-2565

says "The certificate should show that the applicant has no criminal conviction from age 18 to the present. There is no provision for whether an applicant needs to present an additional certificate from a third country where he or she has previously resided."

This the only mention of "from age 18" I could find.

Another possibility is the FBI "Criminal History Summary (or Proof That a Criminal History Summary Does Not Exist)" Which may be possible to get by mail. I have heard two stories about the FBI check; 1) it took about 6 months to get while in the US, and, 2) there was a problem providing required fingerprints when outside the US.

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

I was under the impression that our visas had a built in security check??
Seems the work ethics abroad are just as disorganized....

suserg (1 post) • 0

does anyone know the new rules for L and F visa extentions? my f visa will expire august 19th, will I have a problem getting an extention?

Long-Dragon (390 posts) • 0

A new regulation for foreigners entry and exit was passed July 3 by the State Council. It is believed to be supplementary to the July 1 rules. We think it it is more on how to implement the new rules. On implementation and application some descretion is allowed in each province.
L and F visas usually can be extended depending on the circumstances. Go to PSB and ask.
On criminal record checks from America, many cities will, for a fee, give a letter that says you have no crimninal record in that city. If you want state or national level the local police ask for a finger print and a personal appearance and a fee. I do not know yet if you must do full USA notatization of these documents or translation by a certified agency here.

Quester (233 posts) • 0

Thanks Dragon. We'd still like to hear of anyone's experience after these regs have come in of doing their visa here in Kunming, ie how the discretion is applied here.
Also keen to know the notarization requirements.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

my company made an application for a work visa (for a teacher) and it was rejected last week as it didn't include a criminal record check. the teacher is from the UK. the PSB were unclear what exactly was required but indicated that everything else with the application was fine.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

From what I can perceive, Beijing asking for criminal check is Beijing Municipality (not BJ as national gov of PRC). If correct, this would be an example of the local discretion mentioned above.

Related forum threads

Login to post