GoKunming Forums

Please beware of apartment scam

GoKunming (162 posts) • 0

It has come to our attention that at least two registered users are fraudulently posting classified ads for apartments in Kunming.

The scammer(s) use different names every time, but follow this specific pattern:

- Describes hi-end apartments
- Claims to be overseas (usually in London)
- Promises to mail the keys to interested parties
- Requires payment before apartment can be viewed
- Usually replies with this email address: emily_brenard35@hotmail.co.uk

If you encounter a classified ad such as this, please get in touch with GoKunming immediately through the contact form.

If you are certain you have dealt with this scam and can offer any other details, please post them here.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Thanks for the heads up! Good looking out.

abcdabcd (428 posts) • 0

who sends money to someone 'overseas' for an apartment they haven't visited?

yeah, i'll send you the keys.

please beware of being a silly person is what you need to beware of.

Elisa (174 posts) • 0

We just got a response to our "housing wanted" ad from someone claiming to be in Barcelona who would mail us the keys after we sent the deposit. Yeah, right :)

Elisa (174 posts) • 0

It wasn't terribly uncommon 8 years ago in the US either. My favorite was a potential housemate from overseas who was a medical student working on pediatric cancer or a pro ballerina or something else wildly impressive. They'd always request permission to send 3x the required deposit and have us wire back the rest.

andcope (9 posts) • 0

I was looking for a place 3 months ago and received this email from this scammer (emily brenard <emilly_brenard35@hotmail.com>) after enquiring about further details:

"Apartment located at No.8 Beicangpo, Beimen Street, Kunming 650021, China, The apartment is clean and fully equipped with a lovely kitchen, washing machine, bathtub and internet. Each flat is furnished with a double size mattress, reading table and wardrobe . It is located in central neighborhood.The room cost 4000rmb per month which includes the cost of utility plus a security deposit of 5500rmb . The security deposit is refundable at the termination date of the lease contract . You can write me an email for further information . Thanks and hope to hear from you soon"

I informed her/him that it was too expensive and my budget was around 2000, to which they replied all that mattered was that I was interested in the place. This set off warning bells for me and I told them so and did not communicate further with them.

A few days later I saw another ad under a different name, to which I responded, and received the same email as written above, except that the price was down to 2000 and the deposit was much less. I did not respond to that email.

I hope this provides some more details for apartment seekers about this particular scammer.

Related forum threads

Login to post