GoKunming Forums

Theivery in Kunming

bjtokm (193 posts) • 0

of corse if you get your stuff back ..no reason to fight!! hhahaha.......been here the same amout of time or so..and i have never got in a fight with a local either.

abcdabcd (428 posts) • 0

"I have friends who like fighting and confrontation, in China they get beaten up by mobs, stabbed, or worse. Stay safe."

What's worse than getting stabbed? Having educatedman write up a review of your pizza joint?

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

I live in China for almost 15 years now and never got anything stolen. And I mostly use public transport and go out on weekends quite frequently. Usually if something gets stolen the cops would call it offering opportunities. So take precautions, thats the only way to avoid theft.

Good thieves rarely get caught and I know this laowai bloke in Shanghai who kicked out the living shit of a thief and then his gang of 3 approached and he kicked their ass, too. Same thing though, as usual nobody helped or even bothered to spend half a mao to call the cops.
In the end they arrested them AND HIM, for excessive violence.

I have to add though he is a martial artist. Not specifically expert but a practiced a few years.

Don't be a hero, say farewell to your belongings and get something new, if you don't want to be stabbed. This country doesn't know fair and being reasonable.

DON'T YOU EVER rely on a security guard, I don't know what their job description is but it's nothing we are used to, in the west.

About violent crimes in the West vs. China. I have been randomly attacked about 8 times in China. Reasons are from having a hot girlfriend, anti-foreign sentiments, or just plain boredom. Weapos were tazers, baseball bats, knives, ropes etc.
China doesn't have an official statistic and even if they would have the real numbers would be much higher.
I rather get mugged in Europe then being in "harmless" brawl here. In Europe the bad guy usually has a reason and know that if get caught, suffering dire problems. While the amount of the sheer pleasure of violence here, literally jumping with two guys on a persons head-giggling like kids, because the guy didn't beg for mercy after the victim bumped into the thugs girlfriend.

I don't know were you guys are from but the intensity of violence and potential escalation you can see everyday in Kundu for example, is much higher than in the West. The cruelty here in China I have never seen in my hometown, and my hometown is pretty famous for violent crimes.

chris8080 (226 posts) • 0

Good point. Although generally violent crime is lower, I think in certain places, i.e. Kundu, violence is common. I've been attacked twice by the "security" guards in Babi, and I've frequently heard of foreigners being attacked in Kundu for no reason. Although on the other hand, I think that if you take alcohol out of the equation, China is a safe place.

Canuck11 (11 posts) • 0

If I was randomly attacked even 2 or 3 times I'd probably consider leaving wherever I was. Or at a minimum try to do something to stop it happening in the future. Forget about 8 times, you must have some serious motives for staying.

chris8080 (226 posts) • 0

Yeah, I'm very surprised to hear you've been randomly attacked *8* times. Maybe you just have a very punchable face!

bjtokm (193 posts) • 0

You have been attacked 8 TIMES?? tazers bats knifes??? I dont even know 8 people that have been randomly attacked! I can only think of like 2-3 that have been rando attacked, and that was once each ...In their whole lifes!! Oh and ropes! how does one attack someone with a rope?? hahaha ..You are doing something very wrong. Or you are the most unlucky person in the world!

abcdabcd (428 posts) • 0

he was lassoed by a chinese cowboy riding by on his horse.

That is what it's like to live in a SAFE PLACE, as China is.

How to use a rope in an attack, well let me think? Poke it in ones ear?
What about lock my arms with it, while sombody else is trying to beat the shit out of me.

The tazer thing happened to my buddy in a residential compound, while the security guard helped cheering up the thugs to punch harder....Welcome to China

About alcohol, yes about 3 of those I was sure there was alcohol involved but the others didn't seem to be alcohol related.

Three had to do with a foreigner having a hot or cute gf.
I was just screamed at, at NanpingJie, something like: "One girl going to waste. Foreign dog!", while windowshopping with my gf
....Welcome to China.

This one was nonviolent but you don't always ( or at least 3 times) get that lucky.

I have to say most of them happend around 2008 pre-olympics and the latest Anti-Japanese rants.
Reasons for staying here, tons, reasons to leave a few, but my chinese friends really talked me into staying. And I have a business here.

Maybe I have a punchable face but I manged to get out of it with no punch received.

You guys are all so funny. Even though I got out it unscratched, some of my friends didn't and it scared the shit out of me and my partner at the time. So for all the funny ones out here, I hope you never have to experience it and if you ever do, I hope you will remember the funny comments you made.

Related forum threads

Login to post